Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Jack Bradley
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
      We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6" thick
      anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250 lb.
      crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
      problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
      Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk dianashaftshop@...
      Ragnar two axe

      Simon Hondy wrote:

      > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
      > durablility being of primary concern.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
      > provided?
      >
      > Simon Hondy
      > Baile na Scolairi
      > Midlands

    • Chad Wilson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
        On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal. If
        you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow from
        any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped the
        arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw someone
        lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire banding
        to compress the carpet layers together for density.

        The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.

        -Caedmon

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Jack Bradley
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
          I think the people at Diana's will ship them (dianashaftshop@... ) if
          you have no luck with email I'll get the phone # for you
          Ragnar (no slur taken :-)

          Talmon Parker wrote:

          > My lord Ragnar: No slur ment, But where do you get the ship's bumpers?
          > Are the avaiable to others?.
          > Talmon
          >
          > >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
          > >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
          > >Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:29:52 -0400
          > >
          > >We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6"
          > >thick
          > >anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250
          > >lb.
          > >crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
          > >problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
          > >Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk
          > >dianashaftshop@...
          > >Ragnar two axe
          > >
          > >Simon Hondy wrote:
          > >
          > > > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
          > > > durablility being of primary concern.
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions?
          > > >
          > > > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts
          > >be
          > > > provided?
          > > >
          > > > Simon Hondy
          > > > Baile na Scolairi
          > > > Midlands

          > > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
          > > > Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

          > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > >Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
          > >Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

        • Simon Hondy
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
            Ragnar,
            Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
            their site?
            Simon Hondy

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
              <On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
              <The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
              <-Caedmon

              On this same model, I've been told to use old phonebooks clamped
              together so you're shooting into the edges of the pages. Likewise
              horizontal layers of cardboard clamped together and compressed. I
              like the idea of stopping the arrow/bolt with surrounding friction
              rather than blunt force on the head.

              -Yeliz
            • Jack Bradley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
                the way you can get different pretty colours)
                Ragnar

                Simon Hondy wrote:

                > Ragnar,
                > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
                > their site?
                > Simon Hondy

              • Jeff Elder
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                  hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                  That might be a little heavy.. ;}

                  Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                  cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                  place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                  gotta be difficult!

                  All wonderful Ideas though!

                  Simon Hondy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                    --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
                    > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                    > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                    > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
                    >
                    > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                    > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                    > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                    > gotta be difficult!

                    Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
                    to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
                    or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

                    -Caedmon

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Talmon Parker
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                      This from Talmon:: Since we all don't have a few ships bumpers in our back
                      yard! The canton of gates edge in Ansteorra uses a simple and portable back
                      stop. We use 1" steel conduit frames,Either cut and welded together, or just
                      use a pipe bender. The ones we like best are cut on a 45 degree angle then
                      turned to make a 90 degree turn.And welded together, one conduit connector
                      will hold them together. These are mounted on 1/2" rebar driven into the
                      ground. So far the price of each frame is about $8.00.
                      Then we get used carpet from the carpet installers cut to about 6'x13'.One
                      layer {2 thickness} will stop a target arrow at 20 yards. for more stopping
                      power just add more layers. A couple of guy ropes From your next door
                      neighbor's tent. and you are all set up.If you happen to know of a hotel or
                      motel that is having a carpet change, the hallway runners are just right. If
                      the frame starts to bend under the weight of too many layers of carpet,just
                      put a piece of 3/4" steel pipe inside of the cross piece.We cut the frames
                      about 6 1/2' at the joint. This gives you about a 7'width. Use a couple of
                      clamps to keep it from sliding off the frame.We have hung as many as 4
                      targets on one frame.By the way, put up the frame first,then throw the
                      carpet over that.You can either tape the targets or mount them on coragated
                      box board,and use a spinner to hold them on.One frame for each range is
                      kinda nice.These carpets will last thru about one season of hard practice on
                      our range.Most of our archers are using 45# bows.
                      Hope this helps. Baron Talmon Willbanks
                      Bad archer, good bargain hunter

                      >From: "Simon Hondy" <scholari@...>
                      >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
                      >Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:07:04 -0500
                      >
                      >I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
                      >durablility being of primary concern.
                      >
                      >Any suggestions?
                      >
                      >If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
                      >provided?
                      >
                      >Simon Hondy
                      >Baile na Scolairi
                      >Midlands

                    • Talmon Parker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                            Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
                            Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

                          • James Mcadams
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                              > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                              > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                              > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                              > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                              > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                              A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                              plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                              some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                              pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                              Xavier
                              Jim McAdams | Do,
                              jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                              630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
                            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                Good Afternoon to the List,
                                For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                can shoot at it.
                                Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                legal height.
                                Repectfully,
                                -Geoffrei

                              • Eric Bosley
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                  Greetings,

                                  Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                                  butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                                  boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                                  out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                                  from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                                  H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                                  Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                                  On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                                  > Good Afternoon to the List,
                                  > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                  > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                  > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                  > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                  > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                  > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                  > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                  > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                  > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                  > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                  > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                  > can shoot at it.
                                  > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                  > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                  > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                  > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                  > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                  > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                  > legal height.
                                  > Repectfully,
                                  > -Geoffrei
                                  >

                                  > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                                • Hal B. Clark
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                    This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                                    replacing
                                    burlap in some usages.
                                    Walk Tall
                                    Gentle Ben