[SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Simon Hondy
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
      I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
      durablility being of primary concern.

      Any suggestions?

      If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
      provided?

      Simon Hondy
      Baile na Scolairi
      Midlands
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
        We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6" thick
        anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250 lb.
        crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
        problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
        Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk dianashaftshop@...
        Ragnar two axe

        Simon Hondy wrote:

        > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
        > durablility being of primary concern.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
        > provided?
        >
        > Simon Hondy
        > Baile na Scolairi
        > Midlands

      • Talmon Parker
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
          This from Talmon:: Since we all don't have a few ships bumpers in our back
          yard! The canton of gates edge in Ansteorra uses a simple and portable back
          stop. We use 1" steel conduit frames,Either cut and welded together, or just
          use a pipe bender. The ones we like best are cut on a 45 degree angle then
          turned to make a 90 degree turn.And welded together, one conduit connector
          will hold them together. These are mounted on 1/2" rebar driven into the
          ground. So far the price of each frame is about $8.00.
          Then we get used carpet from the carpet installers cut to about 6'x13'.One
          layer {2 thickness} will stop a target arrow at 20 yards. for more stopping
          power just add more layers. A couple of guy ropes From your next door
          neighbor's tent. and you are all set up.If you happen to know of a hotel or
          motel that is having a carpet change, the hallway runners are just right. If
          the frame starts to bend under the weight of too many layers of carpet,just
          put a piece of 3/4" steel pipe inside of the cross piece.We cut the frames
          about 6 1/2' at the joint. This gives you about a 7'width. Use a couple of
          clamps to keep it from sliding off the frame.We have hung as many as 4
          targets on one frame.By the way, put up the frame first,then throw the
          carpet over that.You can either tape the targets or mount them on coragated
          box board,and use a spinner to hold them on.One frame for each range is
          kinda nice.These carpets will last thru about one season of hard practice on
          our range.Most of our archers are using 45# bows.
          Hope this helps. Baron Talmon Willbanks
          Bad archer, good bargain hunter

          >From: "Simon Hondy" <scholari@...>
          >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
          >Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:07:04 -0500
          >
          >I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
          >durablility being of primary concern.
          >
          >Any suggestions?
          >
          >If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
          >provided?
          >
          >Simon Hondy
          >Baile na Scolairi
          >Midlands

        • Talmon Parker
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
            My lord Ragnar: No slur ment, But where do you get the ship's bumpers?
            Are the avaiable to others?.
            Talmon

            >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
            >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
            >Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:29:52 -0400
            >
            >We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6"
            >thick
            >anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250
            >lb.
            >crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
            >problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
            >Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk
            >dianashaftshop@...
            >Ragnar two axe
            >
            >Simon Hondy wrote:
            >
            > > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
            > > durablility being of primary concern.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions?
            > >
            > > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts
            >be
            > > provided?
            > >
            > > Simon Hondy
            > > Baile na Scolairi
            > > Midlands

            > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
            > > Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

            >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Chad Wilson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
              On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal. If
              you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow from
              any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped the
              arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw someone
              lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire banding
              to compress the carpet layers together for density.

              The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.

              -Caedmon

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Jack Bradley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                I think the people at Diana's will ship them (dianashaftshop@... ) if
                you have no luck with email I'll get the phone # for you
                Ragnar (no slur taken :-)

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Ragnar,
                  Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
                  their site?
                  Simon Hondy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                    <On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
                    <The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
                    <-Caedmon

                    On this same model, I've been told to use old phonebooks clamped
                    together so you're shooting into the edges of the pages. Likewise
                    horizontal layers of cardboard clamped together and compressed. I
                    like the idea of stopping the arrow/bolt with surrounding friction
                    rather than blunt force on the head.

                    -Yeliz
                  • Jack Bradley
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                      Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
                      the way you can get different pretty colours)
                      Ragnar

                      Simon Hondy wrote:

                      > Ragnar,
                      > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
                      > their site?
                      > Simon Hondy

                    • Talmon Parker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                        There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                        used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                        stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                        2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                        $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.
                        Talmon

                        >From: Chad Wilson <caeman@...>
                        >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
                        >Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
                        >If
                        >you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow
                        >from
                        >any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped
                        >the
                        >arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw
                        >someone
                        >lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire
                        >banding
                        >to compress the carpet layers together for density.
                        >
                        >The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
                        >
                        >-Caedmon

                        >Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
                        >http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                      • Jeff Elder
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                          Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                          hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                          That might be a little heavy.. ;}

                          Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                          cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                          place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                          gotta be difficult!

                          All wonderful Ideas though!

                          Simon Hondy

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                            Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
                            Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                              --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
                              > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                              > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                              > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
                              >
                              > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                              > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                              > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                              > gotta be difficult!

                              Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
                              to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
                              or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

                              -Caedmon

                              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                            • James Mcadams
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                                > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                                > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                                > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                                > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                                A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                                plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                                some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                                pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                                Xavier
                                Jim McAdams | Do,
                                jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                                630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
                              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                  Good Afternoon to the List,
                                  For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                  lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                  currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                  plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                  plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                  several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                  kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                  with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                  back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                  The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                  and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                  can shoot at it.
                                  Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                  dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                  plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                  poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                  comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                  You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                  legal height.
                                  Repectfully,
                                  -Geoffrei

                                • Eric Bosley
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                    Greetings,

                                    Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                                    butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                                    boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                                    out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                                    from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                                    H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                                    Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                                    On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                                    > Good Afternoon to the List,
                                    > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                    > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                    > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                    > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                    > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                    > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                    > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                    > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                    > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                    > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                    > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                    > can shoot at it.
                                    > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                    > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                    > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                    > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                    > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                    > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                    > legal height.
                                    > Repectfully,
                                    > -Geoffrei
                                    >

                                    > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                                  • Hal B. Clark
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                      This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                                      replacing
                                      burlap in some usages.
                                      Walk Tall
                                      Gentle Ben