Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Books On-Line

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
      > http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/books/guide/docs/chapter6.html
      > 2. HOYLE-SHOOTING.
      >
      > Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
      > mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be made a
      > mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader, who
      > fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised after
      > butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or to
      > determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.

      Sounds like shooting at the ground...heck, I've been doing that all along!
      *grin*

      -Caedmon, call me Worm Seeker
    • Jeff Elder
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
        Ahh true but now you have a name for the style and finesse of your
        shooting.. ;}

        Simon Hondy
        Proud supporter of Lawn Aeration, iron supplements, and cedar mulch...

        > > Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
        > > mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be
        made a
        > > mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader,
        who
        > > fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised
        after
        > > butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or
        > > determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.
        >
        > Sounds like shooting at the ground...heck, I've been doing that all along!
        > *grin*
        >
        > -Caedmon, call me Worm Seeker

      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001

          >> In the search of the net to find what a "hoyle" was, I came across the
          >above
          >> site.
          >>
          >> -Caedmon, still doesn't know what a hoyle is
          >Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
          >mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be made
          >mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader, who
          >fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised after
          >butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or to
          >determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.
          >
          >Strictly speaking, as the marks shot at in this sport are varied and
          >uncertain, hoyle-shooting is nothing more than a kind of roving.
          >
          >It is all I could find with and internet search
          >
          >Simon Hondy

          Yup. Yup. We call it 'Stump Hunting'. The leader picks the first target, be
          it a Log or the knot hoyle in that Log. The person who hits closest to the
          mark decreed by the lead becomes the next lead and picks the next target.
          Basic rule of thumb is 'no living targets' (hence 'stump hunting')

          (See that stump that looks like a gopher head sticking out from behind that
          tree and under all that brush. 'Bout thirty yards out???)

          Great fun. Covers a fair amount of terrain. Break and loose a number of
          arrows. Social outing for the archery community. Blows a couple of hours
          easily.

          Brad