Archery Books On-Line

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
      http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/

      In the search of the net to find what a "hoyle" was, I came across the above
      site.

      -Caedmon, still doesn't know what a hoyle is
    • Simon Hondy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
        > http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/

        Neat!

        > In the search of the net to find what a "hoyle" was, I came across the
        above
        > site.
        >
        > -Caedmon, still doesn't know what a hoyle is

        http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/books/guide/docs/chapter6.html
        2. HOYLE-SHOOTING.

        Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
        mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be made a
        mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader, who
        fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised after
        butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or to
        determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.

        Strictly speaking, as the marks shot at in this sport are varied and
        uncertain, hoyle-shooting is nothing more than a kind of roving.

        It is all I could find with and internet search

        Simon Hondy

        Baile na Scolairi

        Middle Kingdom
      • Chad and Erin Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
          > http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/books/guide/docs/chapter6.html
          > 2. HOYLE-SHOOTING.
          >
          > Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
          > mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be made a
          > mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader, who
          > fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised after
          > butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or to
          > determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.

          Sounds like shooting at the ground...heck, I've been doing that all along!
          *grin*

          -Caedmon, call me Worm Seeker
        • Jeff Elder
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
            Ahh true but now you have a name for the style and finesse of your
            shooting.. ;}

            Simon Hondy
            Proud supporter of Lawn Aeration, iron supplements, and cedar mulch...

            > > Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
            > > mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be
            made a
            > > mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader,
            who
            > > fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised
            after
            > > butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or
            > > determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.
            >
            > Sounds like shooting at the ground...heck, I've been doing that all along!
            > *grin*
            >
            > -Caedmon, call me Worm Seeker

          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001

              >> In the search of the net to find what a "hoyle" was, I came across the
              >above
              >> site.
              >>
              >> -Caedmon, still doesn't know what a hoyle is
              >Hoyle is an old North-country word, signifying a small eminence as a
              >mole-hill, and the like; which, when of sufficient prominence, may be made
              >mark to shoot at. In this kind of shooting there is generally a leader, who
              >fixes on the objects to be aimed at; and it is frequently practised after
              >butt or target-shooting, on the road home, either for mere amusement, or to
              >determine a game, when both sides have left off equal.
              >
              >Strictly speaking, as the marks shot at in this sport are varied and
              >uncertain, hoyle-shooting is nothing more than a kind of roving.
              >
              >It is all I could find with and internet search
              >
              >Simon Hondy

              Yup. Yup. We call it 'Stump Hunting'. The leader picks the first target, be
              it a Log or the knot hoyle in that Log. The person who hits closest to the
              mark decreed by the lead becomes the next lead and picks the next target.
              Basic rule of thumb is 'no living targets' (hence 'stump hunting')

              (See that stump that looks like a gopher head sticking out from behind that
              tree and under all that brush. 'Bout thirty yards out???)

              Great fun. Covers a fair amount of terrain. Break and loose a number of
              arrows. Social outing for the archery community. Blows a couple of hours
              easily.

              Brad