New topic

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
      In the book White Company mentioned three types of archery practices:
      rovers, clout, and hoyles. What is hoyles and how is it shot? How old is
      this type of archery practice?

      James Cunningham
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
        "James W. Pratt Jr." wrote:

        > In the book White Company mentioned three types of archery practices:
        > rovers, clout, and hoyles. What is hoyles and how is it shot? How old is
        > this type of archery practice?
        >
        > James Cunningham

        I believe it is similar to rovers, but at shorter distances. If I remember
        correctly, "hoyle" refers to small mounds of earth such as a mole-hill, etc.