re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 665

  • theogre@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2001
      Gutes, Wie gehts?
      I especially like the Osprey books because of their visual and text detail. There is another book I have that may help although 'Swabian' isn't mentioned.
      The Medieval Soldier; 15th Century Campaign Life Recreated in Colour Photographs. Embleton, Gerry and Howe, John, 1994 Windrow & Greene
      ISBN 1-85915-036-5 $45?
      I purchased this from Museum Replicas awhile back and it is WONDERFUL for the garb and armor ideas. The 2 main reenacting groups portrayed are in the UK and Switzerland. There are nice pics of the archers and crossbowmen. They do mention how the English longbowmen set the standard but there are some references to German, Flemish, and French longbowmen. Perhaps an Alsacian archer in service to the court of the Count of Thiestein? "Ja, und zen Sie could go und looze zum arrows at zohs Anglische scheissekopfen!" Oh, well...considering my heritage AND my persona are from Kent and Hampshire, I'll just have to meet you on those 'Flanders Fields'. :-)
      Keep your bowstring waxed and your fletchings dry, M'lord.

      Cordially,
      Philip of Kentshire

      "Waiting for opportunity to knock is akin to the hunter who sits by the fire waxing his bowstring and watching for the quarry to arrive...as his clan starves."