Re: [SCA-Archery] Trying to find info on a specific bow

  • James C. Wolf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      My Lord, several years ago I stumbled across a 1970 catalog from
      Kettridge Bow Hut of Mammoth Lakes, Ca., (apparently long defunct) and it
      has some info on the bows you mentioned. Apparently, Golden Sovereign was
      a type name that covered about nine different bows, with the Lord and
      Lady Mercury being the top of the line. They were Tournament bows, with a
      capsule of mercury embedded in the grip to cushion against shock and cost
      @$195 in 1970. The Lord Sovereign was @$125, a very good bow without the
      mercury feature. I have a Golden Sovereign Knight myself, which now has
      pride of place on my bow rack, since the lower limb developed a twist. If
      you need further info, ask. There's only one mechanical toy in the whole
      book, apparently the first one made!
      YIS, Felix the Archer, Saethyr Fyrd, Calontir
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2001
        What you have is a rare find from the late 60's or early 70's. I don't
        remember the manufacturer but they were the first bows to make use of
        dynamic stabilization. There should be two carved protrusions at the top
        and bottom of the riser. These protrusions should have a screw plug in
        them. DO NOT remove these plugs. The hold capsules of mercury. The
        movement of the mercury damps the harmonic vibrations of the bow and
        makes it sweet shooting indeed. It was declared illegal for competition
        shooting because of this. At that time multiple stabilizers were not
        allowed. I often wish I could find one of these for my collection.
        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:26:11 -0000 "Derek Bryn Wilson"
        <dwilson212@...> writes:
        >I am trying to find info on a bow I recently came across. And thought
        >maybe some of you might have some idea. The Markings on the bow are
        >Golden Sovereign with Mercury Cushion, 70 inches 35#@28". I already
        >had a Ben Pearson Lord Sovereign. Can anyone tell me if this is from
        >the same line? they have very similar riser shapes.
        >
        >Thanks for you off topic time:)
        >
        >Diethelm Waltorfer
        >Deputy Archery Marshall Northkeep

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/