Trying to find info on a specific bow

  • Derek Bryn Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
      I am trying to find info on a bow I recently came across. And thought
      maybe some of you might have some idea. The Markings on the bow are
      Golden Sovereign with Mercury Cushion, 70 inches 35#@28". I already
      had a Ben Pearson Lord Sovereign. Can anyone tell me if this is from
      the same line? they have very similar riser shapes.

      Thanks for you off topic time:)

      Diethelm Waltorfer
      Deputy Archery Marshall Northkeep
    • James C. Wolf
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 2:13 PM
        My Lord, several years ago I stumbled across a 1970 catalog from
        Kettridge Bow Hut of Mammoth Lakes, Ca., (apparently long defunct) and it
        has some info on the bows you mentioned. Apparently, Golden Sovereign was
        a type name that covered about nine different bows, with the Lord and
        Lady Mercury being the top of the line. They were Tournament bows, with a
        capsule of mercury embedded in the grip to cushion against shock and cost
        @$195 in 1970. The Lord Sovereign was @$125, a very good bow without the
        mercury feature. I have a Golden Sovereign Knight myself, which now has
        pride of place on my bow rack, since the lower limb developed a twist. If
        you need further info, ask. There's only one mechanical toy in the whole
        book, apparently the first one made!
        YIS, Felix the Archer, Saethyr Fyrd, Calontir
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6 1:36 AM
          What you have is a rare find from the late 60's or early 70's. I don't
          remember the manufacturer but they were the first bows to make use of
          dynamic stabilization. There should be two carved protrusions at the top
          and bottom of the riser. These protrusions should have a screw plug in
          them. DO NOT remove these plugs. The hold capsules of mercury. The
          movement of the mercury damps the harmonic vibrations of the bow and
          makes it sweet shooting indeed. It was declared illegal for competition
          shooting because of this. At that time multiple stabilizers were not
          allowed. I often wish I could find one of these for my collection.
          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:26:11 -0000 "Derek Bryn Wilson"
          <dwilson212@...> writes:
          >I am trying to find info on a bow I recently came across. And thought
          >maybe some of you might have some idea. The Markings on the bow are
          >Golden Sovereign with Mercury Cushion, 70 inches 35#@28". I already
          >had a Ben Pearson Lord Sovereign. Can anyone tell me if this is from
          >the same line? they have very similar riser shapes.
          >
          >Thanks for you off topic time:)
          >
          >Diethelm Waltorfer
          >Deputy Archery Marshall Northkeep

          >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/