RE: Linen strings, was Re: [SCA-Archery] longbow

  • Brett Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 26, 2001
      In fact, I know of someone that is making his own linen strings and they are
      doing quite well.

      Leif of Crescent Moon
      Calontir archer

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 26, 2001
        Greetings
        You are correct; I was writing from faulty memory rather than having the
        manual in front of me. I see on checking that silk and linen are, in
        fact, permissable.

        Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

        --
        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • AyllythPìobaire
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 27, 2001
          --- "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          > You are correct; I was writing from faulty memory
          > rather than having the
          > manual in front of me. I see on checking that silk
          > and linen are, in
          > fact, permissable.

          thank you.

          O, goody; i was hoping to be able to enter stuff in
          period class and/or pentathalon.

          =====
          8) Ayllyth P�obaire 8)
          House of the Argent Greyhound (http://www.geocities.com/ayllyth/ )
          Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
          For your next feast and/or revel, visit
          http://www.thewildoats.com !

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 27, 2001
            Greetings
            Oh, you'ld be able to enter them in an A+S comp even if I'd been right
            and they were illegal; I was speaking as a marshal, towards what is or
            isn't permissable in actual use on a range, not on an A+S table.

            Nigel

          • castan14@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 27, 2001
              If anyone in interested in buying a good English longbow from English
              bowyers, there's someone here in the U.S. who imports them. Take a look at
              www.saxonfox.com .
            • Emil Stecher
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 29, 2001
                To the Readers of this List, Greetings,
                From Barak Raz

                I am attending an archery class offered as part of my
                town's summer activities program. One of the folks in
                the class has a wooden longbow, which when pulled
                makes a creaking noise rather like a floorboard being
                stepped on. Should I be nervous about this and seek
                safety at the opposite end of the line?

                Would anyone care to speculate about the cause of the
                sound? The bow wood is white with a reddish cast,
                there is a block of wood glued to the bow to form the
                handle. The owner states that it was purchased about a
                year ago in Germany.

                Barak Raz
                (Emil M Stecher)
                (gwrgi@...)

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 29, 2001
                  Hello Barak,
                  Sounds like that block of wood is loose, or that bow is about to
                  BLOW. .........standing far away is a good idea.
                  (I hope it's not a scadian event!)
                  -Geoffrei

                • Carl (checking home mail from work)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 29, 2001
                    Emil Stecher wrote:

                    > To the Readers of this List, Greetings,
                    > >From Barak Raz
                    >
                    > I am attending an archery class offered as part of my
                    > town's summer activities program. One of the folks in
                    > the class has a wooden longbow, which when pulled
                    > makes a creaking noise rather like a floorboard being
                    > stepped on. Should I be nervous about this and seek
                    > safety at the opposite end of the line?
                    >
                    > Would anyone care to speculate about the cause of the
                    > sound? The bow wood is white with a reddish cast,
                    > there is a block of wood glued to the bow to form the
                    > handle. The owner states that it was purchased about a
                    > year ago in Germany.

                    IFF the glue joint is bad, it _could_ be the 'handle block' generally
                    known as the 'riser' creaking against the bow stave but if that's what's
                    happening, I would expect it to have broken already. More likely it's
                    the serving on the string stick-slipping on the finish in the bow's
                    nocks. If a little wax on the bow's nocks (or the loops of the string)
                    doesn't stop the creaking, _I'd_ stay a gate or two away.

                    -- Fritz