Re: [SCA-Archery] continuious string jig

  • psobaka@myriad.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
      OK I will vote for that, marked my jig about 3 years ago just don't rember
      how much shorter.
      plachoya

      >Yes, it needs to be shorter ... however 2" in my experience is WAAAAAY too
      >short for a crossbow ... Your actual mileage will vary with a crossbow as
      >to what length you need, based upon the length of prod, whether it is
      >recurved, etc.
      >
      >If you don't know the length of a current string, it's time to start playing.
      >
      >Make one that is about 1" shorter ... and play from there ... realize that
      >on a crossbow that a distance as small as 1/4" in length will make a
      >difference in brace height.
      >
      >Also realize that having it a 'bit longer' is just fine. You can always
      >twist it.
      >
      >Siegfried

    • BaryandLea Sears
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
        many thanks. you've save me a lot of work.

        barre

        psobaka@... wrote:

        > If you had it made the same length as the prod you had it made to long.
        > Needs to be 2" shorter IIRC.
        > plachoya
        > >do you make crossbow strings the same way? I convinced a person at a
        > non-SCA to
        > >make me a crossbow string. Even though she made to the length I specified,
        > >which is the length of the prod, it still came out too long.
        > >
        > >Barre fitzRobert
        > >
        > >Brad Boda d'Aylward wrote:
        > >
        > Plachoya Sobaka insignificant archer; Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra

      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2001
          For all making crossbow strings. For the Gladius 2316 prod 27 inches is
          about right. That means about 27 1/4 to the ouside of the pins(watch the
          pins do not move as you wind the skeen) in the skeen befor serving. 26 3/4
          (inside the loops) after three layers of serving on the ends and four in the
          middle. Then it will go to 27 after shooting. This will work for most of
          Gladuis short prods. I have not done a Barnet style fiberglass in a long
          time you need bigger loops for them.

          James Cunningham