Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Archie Darr II
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 26, 2001
      Magnus;

      Lancaster Archery is up your way (sort of) and they have a wide variety
      of targets to chose from. The targets you want are 60cm, be careful not to
      get the 40cm. They have an internet site, I do not have it with me right
      now (its at home & I am not). Best of luck.

      In Service
      Don Sebastian Frobishire
      Ansteorra, Barony of the Steppes

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 10, 2001
          I just ordered my pack of 20 from 3 rivers archery. They run 95cents each.
          Hope it helps.

          Robert the Forgotten

        • hamberg@fiber.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 10, 2001
            > Just a quick question to the group as a whole. I live in Montana,
            > and don't have a lot of archery supply places handy. I was
            > wondering where the best place was to get the five color targets
            > for use in IKAC and Royal Round shoots.

            I'm in Loch Salann (Salt Lake City) and I buy mine at Salt Lake
            Archery. Next time you are down here look me up.

            Michael
          • Michael Brock
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 11, 2001
              Oddly enough its, http://www.lancasterarchery.com

              I will resume my lurking now.

              H.

              > Just a quick question to the group as a whole. I live in Montana, and
              > don't have a lot of archery supply places handy. I was wondering
              > where the best place was to get the five color targets for use in
              > IKAC and Royal Round shoots.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Magnus of Falkirk

              Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

            • Simon Hondy
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
                durablility being of primary concern.

                Any suggestions?

                If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
                provided?

                Simon Hondy
                Baile na Scolairi
                Midlands
              • Jack Bradley
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                  We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6" thick
                  anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250 lb.
                  crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
                  problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
                  Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk dianashaftshop@...
                  Ragnar two axe

                  Simon Hondy wrote:

                  > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
                  > durablility being of primary concern.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions?
                  >
                  > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
                  > provided?
                  >
                  > Simon Hondy
                  > Baile na Scolairi
                  > Midlands

                • Talmon Parker
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                    This from Talmon:: Since we all don't have a few ships bumpers in our back
                    yard! The canton of gates edge in Ansteorra uses a simple and portable back
                    stop. We use 1" steel conduit frames,Either cut and welded together, or just
                    use a pipe bender. The ones we like best are cut on a 45 degree angle then
                    turned to make a 90 degree turn.And welded together, one conduit connector
                    will hold them together. These are mounted on 1/2" rebar driven into the
                    ground. So far the price of each frame is about $8.00.
                    Then we get used carpet from the carpet installers cut to about 6'x13'.One
                    layer {2 thickness} will stop a target arrow at 20 yards. for more stopping
                    power just add more layers. A couple of guy ropes From your next door
                    neighbor's tent. and you are all set up.If you happen to know of a hotel or
                    motel that is having a carpet change, the hallway runners are just right. If
                    the frame starts to bend under the weight of too many layers of carpet,just
                    put a piece of 3/4" steel pipe inside of the cross piece.We cut the frames
                    about 6 1/2' at the joint. This gives you about a 7'width. Use a couple of
                    clamps to keep it from sliding off the frame.We have hung as many as 4
                    targets on one frame.By the way, put up the frame first,then throw the
                    carpet over that.You can either tape the targets or mount them on coragated
                    box board,and use a spinner to hold them on.One frame for each range is
                    kinda nice.These carpets will last thru about one season of hard practice on
                    our range.Most of our archers are using 45# bows.
                    Hope this helps. Baron Talmon Willbanks
                    Bad archer, good bargain hunter

                    >From: "Simon Hondy" <scholari@...>
                    >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
                    >Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:07:04 -0500
                    >
                    >I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
                    >durablility being of primary concern.
                    >
                    >Any suggestions?
                    >
                    >If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts be
                    >provided?
                    >
                    >Simon Hondy
                    >Baile na Scolairi
                    >Midlands

                  • Talmon Parker
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                      My lord Ragnar: No slur ment, But where do you get the ship's bumpers?
                      Are the avaiable to others?.
                      Talmon

                      >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
                      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
                      >Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:29:52 -0400
                      >
                      >We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6"
                      >thick
                      >anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250
                      >lb.
                      >crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
                      >problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
                      >Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk
                      >dianashaftshop@...
                      >Ragnar two axe
                      >
                      >Simon Hondy wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
                      > > durablility being of primary concern.
                      > >
                      > > Any suggestions?
                      > >
                      > > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts
                      >be
                      > > provided?
                      > >
                      > > Simon Hondy
                      > > Baile na Scolairi
                      > > Midlands

                      > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
                      > > Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

                      >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Chad Wilson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                        On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal. If
                        you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow from
                        any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped the
                        arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw someone
                        lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire banding
                        to compress the carpet layers together for density.

                        The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.

                        -Caedmon

                        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Jack Bradley
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                          I think the people at Diana's will ship them (dianashaftshop@... ) if
                          you have no luck with email I'll get the phone # for you
                          Ragnar (no slur taken :-)

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                            Ragnar,
                            Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
                            their site?
                            Simon Hondy

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                              <On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
                              <The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
                              <-Caedmon

                              On this same model, I've been told to use old phonebooks clamped
                              together so you're shooting into the edges of the pages. Likewise
                              horizontal layers of cardboard clamped together and compressed. I
                              like the idea of stopping the arrow/bolt with surrounding friction
                              rather than blunt force on the head.

                              -Yeliz
                            • Jack Bradley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                                Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
                                the way you can get different pretty colours)
                                Ragnar

                                Simon Hondy wrote:

                                > Ragnar,
                                > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
                                > their site?
                                > Simon Hondy

                              • Talmon Parker
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                                  There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                                  used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                                  stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                                  2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                                  $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.
                                  Talmon

                                  >From: Chad Wilson <caeman@...>
                                  >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
                                  >Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
                                  >
                                  >On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
                                  >If
                                  >you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow
                                  >from
                                  >any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped
                                  >the
                                  >arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw
                                  >someone
                                  >lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire
                                  >banding
                                  >to compress the carpet layers together for density.
                                  >
                                  >The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
                                  >
                                  >-Caedmon

                                  >Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
                                  >http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                                • Jeff Elder
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                                    Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                                    hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                                    That might be a little heavy.. ;}

                                    Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                                    cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                                    place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                                    gotta be difficult!

                                    All wonderful Ideas though!

                                    Simon Hondy

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                                      Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
                                      Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                                        --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
                                        > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                                        > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                                        > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
                                        >
                                        > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                                        > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                                        > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                                        > gotta be difficult!

                                        Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
                                        to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
                                        or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

                                        -Caedmon

                                        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                                      • James Mcadams
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                          > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                                          > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                                          > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                                          > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                                          > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                                          A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                                          plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                                          some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                                          pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                                          Xavier
                                          Jim McAdams | Do,
                                          jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                                          630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
                                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                            Good Afternoon to the List,
                                            For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                            lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                            currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                            plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                            plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                            several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                            kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                            with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                            back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                            The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                            and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                            can shoot at it.
                                            Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                            dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                            plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                            poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                            comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                            You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                            legal height.
                                            Repectfully,
                                            -Geoffrei

                                          • Eric Bosley
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                              Greetings,

                                              Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                                              butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                                              boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                                              out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                                              from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                                              H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                                              Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                                              On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                                              > Good Afternoon to the List,
                                              > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                                              > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                                              > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                                              > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                                              > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                                              > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                                              > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                                              > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                                              > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                                              > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                                              > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                                              > can shoot at it.
                                              > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                                              > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                                              > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                                              > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                                              > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                                              > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                                              > legal height.
                                              > Repectfully,
                                              > -Geoffrei
                                              >

                                              > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                                            • Hal B. Clark
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                                                This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                                                replacing
                                                burlap in some usages.
                                                Walk Tall
                                                Gentle Ben