RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Fletching Jigs (was "Fletchers")

  • Susan Kell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2001
      Hello, all -

      I haven't taken a look at the catalog pages for any of the suggested
      vendors, but please note that the components of Bitzenberger jigs are
      usually sold separately. You will need the jig itself, the receiver and
      the clamp to make a whole, usable unit -- and the receivers and clamps you
      need depend on what fletch you're using and at what angles you want to
      apply your feathers. The needed pieces for a whole set, purchased brand
      new, at retail, can be about $100 total.

      You can often buy used jigs (sets) -- check local Want Ads or on-line
      auctions.

      You do *not* need multiple jigs to generate your sets of arrows, you just
      need fast glue! Li and I do all our fletching on one jig per set, using
      fast-setting cyano-acrylate glues -- try Bohning's Super Fletch Tite.
      (Each feather spends about 8 to 15 seconds in the jig, depending upon
      humidity, as opposed to 10 to 12 minutes for regular fletching adhesives.)
      I also recommend experimenting with the finish & fletching glue you intend
      to use before you spend your time fletching whole sets and having your
      feathers fall off! ie: almost no fletching glue sticks to tung oil, but
      almost all stick well to water-based polyeurethane. We seal our shafts
      with tung oil from after the fletching area down to the point because
      backstop materials don't stick to tung oil, and we use the polyeurethane to
      seal the area where we will stick the feathers because the fast glue we
      like sticks well.

      -- Ygraine
      (helps with a couple hundred dozens each year...)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2001
        > Hello, all -
        >
        > I haven't taken a look at the catalog pages for any of the suggested
        > vendors, but please note that the components of Bitzenberger jigs are
        > usually sold separately. You will need the jig itself, the receiver and
        > the clamp to make a whole, usable unit -- and the receivers and clamps you
        > need depend on what fletch you're using and at what angles you want to
        > apply your feathers. The needed pieces for a whole set, purchased brand
        > new, at retail, can be about $100 total.

        This is something that I was unaware of! Thanks for the info to you
        and all the others who responded to my question about fletchers.

        Conchobhar
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2001
          Admittedly, it has been a few years since i bought my last Bitzenberger but at that time it came complete with a choice of one straight or helical clamp. Additional clamps were available separately. The latest model I got also had built in setups for 120 degree 3 fletch or 90 or 60-120 degree 4 fletch so I didn't neet additional parts for that.
          Carolus von Eulenhorst

          > I haven't taken a look at the catalog pages for any of the suggested
          > vendors, but please note that the components of Bitzenberger jigs are
          > usually sold separately. You will need the jig itself, the receiver and
          > the clamp to make a whole, usable unit -- and the receivers and clamps you
          > need depend on what fletch you're using and at what angles you want to
          > apply your feathers. The needed pieces for a whole set, purchased brand
          > new, at retail, can be about $100 total.

          This is something that I was unaware of! Thanks for the info to you
          and all the others who responded to my question about fletchers.

          Conchobhar

          Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst