Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Fletchers

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
      I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
      fletching jig.
      I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
      to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
      to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
      up,..damned if I could!).
      I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
      myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
      poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
      have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
      very similar design as the Bitz (in fact the Bitz metal clamps will work
      on them) but the J-8's only cost me about 20.00 each. They work well
      and do the job for those on a budget.
      I want 12 jigs because I am impatient and don't want to wait all
      that time to glue on 36 fletches one-at-a-time to make a dozen arrows
      with just one jig.I've been using the J-8's for many years, first with
      four of them, then I bought another 2, and then the final six. They hold
      up and get the job done. I had been making about four dozen arrows a
      week for myself and others and they wear well. Now I just barely have
      the time to make a dozen for myself.
      If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
      you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
      -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

    • Patrick Tolen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
        jrosswebb1@... wrote:

        > I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
        > fletching jig.
        > I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
        > to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
        > to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
        > up,..damned if I could!).
        > I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
        > myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
        > poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
        > have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
        >
        > If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
        > you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
        > -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

        Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?

        --
        L. Patrick of Avebury
        Calafia

        Pat

        Space/Time Art
        http://www.spacetimeart.com

      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
          www.3riversarchery.com of course :) Under 'Fletchers/Choppers/Burners'

          Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
        • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
            > Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?
            >
            > --
            > L. Patrick of Avebury
            > Calafia
            > CAID

            The Bitzenburger fletching jig is available from just about any
            archer supplier. Although I detest doing business with them F/S
            Archery shows them at $58.50 in their catalog.
            Valley Traditional Archery Supply (excelent company, btw,
            www.valleytradarchery.com ) lists the Bitz for $65.95 and the Martin
            J-8 for $31.50.

            Taillear
          • Ctopher069@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2001
              I have the J-8 fletcher .. i can tell you you dont want it .. Stay
              away from it. Out of al my archery equioment i have its one peice i wish i
              did not have.

              Ailgenan