Re: Fletchers

  • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
      If price matters not to you then by all means follow Lord Carolus and
      cast thine eyes upon a Bitzenburger. If you were to post this
      question to a traditional archery BB you'd likely get almost
      unanimous praise for the Bitz. It's also the standard for commercial
      fletching operations. I use Vadors only because I can't afford the
      Bitzenburger.

      Taillear

    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
        I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
        fletching jig.
        I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
        to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
        to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
        up,..damned if I could!).
        I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
        myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
        poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
        have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
        very similar design as the Bitz (in fact the Bitz metal clamps will work
        on them) but the J-8's only cost me about 20.00 each. They work well
        and do the job for those on a budget.
        I want 12 jigs because I am impatient and don't want to wait all
        that time to glue on 36 fletches one-at-a-time to make a dozen arrows
        with just one jig.I've been using the J-8's for many years, first with
        four of them, then I bought another 2, and then the final six. They hold
        up and get the job done. I had been making about four dozen arrows a
        week for myself and others and they wear well. Now I just barely have
        the time to make a dozen for myself.
        If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
        you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
        -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

      • Patrick Tolen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
          jrosswebb1@... wrote:

          > I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
          > fletching jig.
          > I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
          > to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
          > to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
          > up,..damned if I could!).
          > I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
          > myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
          > poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
          > have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
          >
          > If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
          > you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
          > -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

          Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?

          --
          L. Patrick of Avebury
          Calafia

          Pat

          Space/Time Art
          http://www.spacetimeart.com

        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
            www.3riversarchery.com of course :) Under 'Fletchers/Choppers/Burners'

            Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
          • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
              > Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?
              >
              > --
              > L. Patrick of Avebury
              > Calafia
              > CAID

              The Bitzenburger fletching jig is available from just about any
              archer supplier. Although I detest doing business with them F/S
              Archery shows them at $58.50 in their catalog.
              Valley Traditional Archery Supply (excelent company, btw,
              www.valleytradarchery.com ) lists the Bitz for $65.95 and the Martin
              J-8 for $31.50.

              Taillear
            • Ctopher069@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2001
                I have the J-8 fletcher .. i can tell you you dont want it .. Stay
                away from it. Out of al my archery equioment i have its one peice i wish i
                did not have.

                Ailgenan