Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletchers

  • Jim Baranauskas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7 8:29 PM
      Lord Conchobhar,
      I've been making my own "bullets" for little more than three years now, and
      can tell you you that you will get more and more pleasure as you get more
      proficient. There are many sources of materials and books of instruction out
      in the mundane world. I've purchased from several and always come back to 3
      Rivers Archery in Indiana. Since you've stated "price doesn't matter", they
      have a wonderful selection of toys.
      Their web address: http://www.3riversarchery.com

      Hope this reply will be of service to you, enjoy
      Seumas MacAuslan
      m.k.a. Jim Baranauskas

    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7 9:51 PM
        If price matters not to you then by all means follow Lord Carolus and
        cast thine eyes upon a Bitzenburger. If you were to post this
        question to a traditional archery BB you'd likely get almost
        unanimous praise for the Bitz. It's also the standard for commercial
        fletching operations. I use Vadors only because I can't afford the
        Bitzenburger.

        Taillear

      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7 11:12 PM
          I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
          fletching jig.
          I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
          to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
          to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
          up,..damned if I could!).
          I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
          myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
          poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
          have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
          very similar design as the Bitz (in fact the Bitz metal clamps will work
          on them) but the J-8's only cost me about 20.00 each. They work well
          and do the job for those on a budget.
          I want 12 jigs because I am impatient and don't want to wait all
          that time to glue on 36 fletches one-at-a-time to make a dozen arrows
          with just one jig.I've been using the J-8's for many years, first with
          four of them, then I bought another 2, and then the final six. They hold
          up and get the job done. I had been making about four dozen arrows a
          week for myself and others and they wear well. Now I just barely have
          the time to make a dozen for myself.
          If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
          you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
          -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

        • Patrick Tolen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8 9:00 AM
            jrosswebb1@... wrote:

            > I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
            > fletching jig.
            > I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
            > to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
            > to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
            > up,..damned if I could!).
            > I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
            > myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
            > poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
            > have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
            >
            > If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
            > you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
            > -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

            Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?

            --
            L. Patrick of Avebury
            Calafia

            Pat

            Space/Time Art
            http://www.spacetimeart.com

          • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8 9:10 AM
              www.3riversarchery.com of course :) Under 'Fletchers/Choppers/Burners'

              Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
            • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8 9:12 AM
                > Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?
                >
                > --
                > L. Patrick of Avebury
                > Calafia
                > CAID

                The Bitzenburger fletching jig is available from just about any
                archer supplier. Although I detest doing business with them F/S
                Archery shows them at $58.50 in their catalog.
                Valley Traditional Archery Supply (excelent company, btw,
                www.valleytradarchery.com ) lists the Bitz for $65.95 and the Martin
                J-8 for $31.50.

                Taillear
              • Ctopher069@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10 8:04 PM
                  I have the J-8 fletcher .. i can tell you you dont want it .. Stay
                  away from it. Out of al my archery equioment i have its one peice i wish i
                  did not have.

                  Ailgenan