Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletchers

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
      I have had an Arizona ez fletch for a few years. Unless they have
      changed the arm configuration,to fletch four you do two at a time, to
      fletch six you do three at a time. All you have to do is pay attention
      to your nock orientation.
      I don't use a jig for my own though.......

      Damian >>~~~>
    • Jim Baranauskas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
        Lord Conchobhar,
        I've been making my own "bullets" for little more than three years now, and
        can tell you you that you will get more and more pleasure as you get more
        proficient. There are many sources of materials and books of instruction out
        in the mundane world. I've purchased from several and always come back to 3
        Rivers Archery in Indiana. Since you've stated "price doesn't matter", they
        have a wonderful selection of toys.
        Their web address: http://www.3riversarchery.com

        Hope this reply will be of service to you, enjoy
        Seumas MacAuslan
        m.k.a. Jim Baranauskas

      • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
          If price matters not to you then by all means follow Lord Carolus and
          cast thine eyes upon a Bitzenburger. If you were to post this
          question to a traditional archery BB you'd likely get almost
          unanimous praise for the Bitz. It's also the standard for commercial
          fletching operations. I use Vadors only because I can't afford the
          Bitzenburger.

          Taillear

        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
            I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
            fletching jig.
            I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
            to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
            to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
            up,..damned if I could!).
            I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
            myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
            poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
            have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
            very similar design as the Bitz (in fact the Bitz metal clamps will work
            on them) but the J-8's only cost me about 20.00 each. They work well
            and do the job for those on a budget.
            I want 12 jigs because I am impatient and don't want to wait all
            that time to glue on 36 fletches one-at-a-time to make a dozen arrows
            with just one jig.I've been using the J-8's for many years, first with
            four of them, then I bought another 2, and then the final six. They hold
            up and get the job done. I had been making about four dozen arrows a
            week for myself and others and they wear well. Now I just barely have
            the time to make a dozen for myself.
            If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
            you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
            -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

          • Patrick Tolen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
              jrosswebb1@... wrote:

              > I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
              > fletching jig.
              > I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
              > to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
              > to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
              > up,..damned if I could!).
              > I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
              > myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
              > poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
              > have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
              >
              > If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
              > you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
              > -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

              Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?

              --
              L. Patrick of Avebury
              Calafia

              Pat

              Space/Time Art
              http://www.spacetimeart.com

            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
                www.3riversarchery.com of course :) Under 'Fletchers/Choppers/Burners'

                Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
              • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
                  > Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?
                  >
                  > --
                  > L. Patrick of Avebury
                  > Calafia
                  > CAID

                  The Bitzenburger fletching jig is available from just about any
                  archer supplier. Although I detest doing business with them F/S
                  Archery shows them at $58.50 in their catalog.
                  Valley Traditional Archery Supply (excelent company, btw,
                  www.valleytradarchery.com ) lists the Bitz for $65.95 and the Martin
                  J-8 for $31.50.

                  Taillear
                • Ctopher069@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2001
                    I have the J-8 fletcher .. i can tell you you dont want it .. Stay
                    away from it. Out of al my archery equioment i have its one peice i wish i
                    did not have.

                    Ailgenan