Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletchers

  • James De Warrenne
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
      >From: "Prince, John" <jbprince@...>
      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Fletchers
      >Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:46:39 -0700
      >

      >Good Day;
      >
      >I've reached that stage in archery in which I'm ready to
      >attempt to make my own arrows. Being absolutely new at this
      >and having looked over the range of flethers available, which
      >one would you all recommend? Price doesn't matter since I'm
      >prepared to pay for decent equipment. However, ease of use does
      >matter.

      I purchased an Arizona E-Z fletch for about $40. It does all 3 feathers at
      once, or you can do 6 feathers (one at a time).

      You can get them in straight or helical (left or right) 4 degree.

      Ive had it for over a year and have had great success with plastic and
      feathers.

      Ld James
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
        I have had an Arizona ez fletch for a few years. Unless they have
        changed the arm configuration,to fletch four you do two at a time, to
        fletch six you do three at a time. All you have to do is pay attention
        to your nock orientation.
        I don't use a jig for my own though.......

        Damian >>~~~>
      • Jim Baranauskas
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
          Lord Conchobhar,
          I've been making my own "bullets" for little more than three years now, and
          can tell you you that you will get more and more pleasure as you get more
          proficient. There are many sources of materials and books of instruction out
          in the mundane world. I've purchased from several and always come back to 3
          Rivers Archery in Indiana. Since you've stated "price doesn't matter", they
          have a wonderful selection of toys.
          Their web address: http://www.3riversarchery.com

          Hope this reply will be of service to you, enjoy
          Seumas MacAuslan
          m.k.a. Jim Baranauskas

        • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
            If price matters not to you then by all means follow Lord Carolus and
            cast thine eyes upon a Bitzenburger. If you were to post this
            question to a traditional archery BB you'd likely get almost
            unanimous praise for the Bitz. It's also the standard for commercial
            fletching operations. I use Vadors only because I can't afford the
            Bitzenburger.

            Taillear

          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
              I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
              fletching jig.
              I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
              to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
              to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
              up,..damned if I could!).
              I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
              myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
              poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
              have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
              very similar design as the Bitz (in fact the Bitz metal clamps will work
              on them) but the J-8's only cost me about 20.00 each. They work well
              and do the job for those on a budget.
              I want 12 jigs because I am impatient and don't want to wait all
              that time to glue on 36 fletches one-at-a-time to make a dozen arrows
              with just one jig.I've been using the J-8's for many years, first with
              four of them, then I bought another 2, and then the final six. They hold
              up and get the job done. I had been making about four dozen arrows a
              week for myself and others and they wear well. Now I just barely have
              the time to make a dozen for myself.
              If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
              you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
              -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

            • Patrick Tolen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
                jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                > I too, will trumpet the praises of the Bitzenberger as a superb
                > fletching jig.
                > I had two of the jo-jan multi-fletchers, but I found them too difficult
                > to set up so that the inside shafts lined up well and sold both of them
                > to a fellow that likes them (I guess he figured out how to set them
                > up,..damned if I could!).
                > I only have one Bitz and can't afford to spend the 8 to 900.00 to outfit
                > myself with twelve. What I have done is buy the J-8 fletching jig (a
                > poor man's Bitzenberger) and I was able to acquire 12 of them which I
                > have attached on a large board. This is a plastic fletching jig of a
                >
                > If money is no object then go with the metal Bitzenberger, but if
                > you are on a bit of a budget, you might want to try the J-8's.
                > -Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

                Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?

                --
                L. Patrick of Avebury
                Calafia

                Pat

                Space/Time Art
                http://www.spacetimeart.com

              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
                  www.3riversarchery.com of course :) Under 'Fletchers/Choppers/Burners'

                  Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
                • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2001
                    > Where can one find these J-8's ? Or the Bitzenbergers?
                    >
                    > --
                    > L. Patrick of Avebury
                    > Calafia
                    > CAID

                    The Bitzenburger fletching jig is available from just about any
                    archer supplier. Although I detest doing business with them F/S
                    Archery shows them at $58.50 in their catalog.
                    Valley Traditional Archery Supply (excelent company, btw,
                    www.valleytradarchery.com ) lists the Bitz for $65.95 and the Martin
                    J-8 for $31.50.

                    Taillear
                  • Ctopher069@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 10, 2001
                      I have the J-8 fletcher .. i can tell you you dont want it .. Stay
                      away from it. Out of al my archery equioment i have its one peice i wish i
                      did not have.

                      Ailgenan