RE: Finding Lost Arrows

  • Susan Kell
    Message 1 of 12 , May 24, 2001
      As Fritz & others have described, barefoot shuffling across an archery
      field often turns up stray arrows -- fellow archers in Carolingia (greater
      Boston) have been calling this the "Archers' Bransle" for years! (Bransle
      is pronounced "brawl" & is a category of period dances.)
      I also believe in the trained dogs, which I've been told is "period" --
      anyone have any citations/sources?

      Here's another solution, offered by Bassanio in Act 1, Scene 1, of _The
      Merchant of Venice_ by Shakespeare:

      In my schoole dayes,
      when I lost one shaft
      I shot his fellow