New Question?

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2001
      This past weekend I saw an arrow tip that the owner said had been made from
      the mold found on the Mary Rose. Hardies Book on the Longbow does not
      mention the mold. Has any body heard of it? If so what is it made of and
      what metal was pored into it?

      James Cunningham
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2001
        > I have the Book "Mary Rose" by Margaret Rule.
        > I did not notice anything about a arrow mold.
        > What size was the arrow tip as the shafts were 1/2 inch.
        > Loric

        The shaft size looked like 11/32 with the barbs on the head cut and bent to
        shape. It looked very much like a type 16 head.

        James Cunningham

        James Cunningham
      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2001
          Yes it does... I am looking for the reference/report/ any info on the mold.

          James Cunningham
          > This probably refers to an arrow head cast from a mold made from a Mary
          Rose
          > point.
        • Hugh Wayne Morris

            > This past weekend I saw an arrow tip that the owner said had been made
            from
            > the mold found on the Mary Rose. Hardies Book on the Longbow does not
            > mention the mold. Has any body heard of it? If so what is it made of and
            > what metal was pored into it?
            >
            > James Cunningham

          • Block, Alan W
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2001
              This probably refers to an arrow head cast from a mold made from a Mary Rose
              point.

              > This past weekend I saw an arrow tip that the owner said had been made
              from
              > the mold found on the Mary Rose. Hardies Book on the Longbow does not
              > mention the mold. Has any body heard of it? If so what is it made of and
              > what metal was pored into it?
              >
              > James Cunningham

              Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

            • Hugh Wayne Morris
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                But there were no surviving arrow heads from the ship!

                > This probably refers to an arrow head cast from a mold made from a Mary
                Rose
                > point.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Hugh Wayne Morris
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                  The arrow tips talked about in the "Mary Rose" were of the type 8 head.
                  The arrows were stored in bundles of 24 arrows in leather disc's that would
                  not have been possible with the type 16 head.
                  Loric

                  > > I have the Book "Mary Rose" by Margaret Rule.
                  > > I did not notice anything about a arrow mold.
                  > > What size was the arrow tip as the shafts were 1/2 inch.
                  > > Loric
                  >
                  > The shaft size looked like 11/32 with the barbs on the head cut and bent
                  > shape. It looked very much like a type 16 head.
                  >
                  > James Cunningham
                  >
                  > James Cunningham

                • James W. Pratt Jr.
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                    That makes the most sense so far. Has anyone else read anything on
                    molding(iron) arrow heads? I know of the cast brass ones. The one I saw
                    looked much like the cast brass ones I have seen but the owner said it was
                    cast in iron or steel. Also his arrow head had clearly been worked after
                    casting to put on the little barbs and to clean up the socket area,
                    including a small hole to pin the arrow head to the shaft.

                    James Cunningham

                    > IIRC they found an impression of a head in the mud and made a cast of it.
                    This sounds like they made a mold of the cast and then made a new head from
                    that. Pure speculation, mind you, I'm just working on what I have read on
                    this list and what I think I remember.
                    > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                      IIRC they found an impression of a head in the mud and made a cast of it. This sounds like they made a mold of the cast and then made a new head from that. Pure speculation, mind you, I'm just working on what I have read on this list and what I think I remember.
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst

                      But there were no surviving arrow heads from the ship!

                      > This probably refers to an arrow head cast from a mold made from a Mary
                      Rose
                      > point.

                      In service to the dream,
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst