Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New range

  • Mark Hendershott
    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2001
      At 11:50 PM 5/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: New range
      >

      > >The SCA has a specific waiver its lawyers have created. It is required
      > >by the BOD for any "Official" activity such as a practice. It would be
      > >available from your local lists officer or Seneschal. Check with your
      > >local Seneschal about the issue of minors' waivers and medical releases.
      > >These issues are tricky and are covered in the Organizational Handbook.
      > >I'd go over them but they're way to detailed for an email discussion.
      > >In service to the dream,
      > >Carolus von Eulenhorst
      > >Also a Seneschal but speaking unofficially
      > >eulenhorst@...
      > >

      >Check with a lawyer. Our waivers realy aren't all that much protection in a
      >court of law unlwss they are notorized at the time of signing.
      >
      >Brad

      Notarization is not a silver bullet for possible legal problems. All it is
      is proof the person signing is properly identified and act
      voluntarily. The actual effects vary from one jurisdiction to another.

      Simon

      Mark Hendershott, Oregon Lawyer
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 24 , May 3, 2001
        Actually, in themselves waivers are no protection, notorized or not. In
        this case they need to be witnessed by someone who can testify to the
        fact that the person involved is the person who signed (whether they
        signed their correct name is moot). We have this. Notorization is
        certification of the identity of the signer when the signer is not
        present, i.e. a minor's paperwork at a war without his parents. The
        waiver serves no purpose to prevent (or protect us from) lawsuits. They
        are evidence of "informed consent"; i.e. "you knew the job was dangerous
        when you took it". This allows us to provide a defense that the person
        knew what he was doing. The big difficulty with using various random and
        scattered waivers is that it makes it very difficult for the SCA to
        establish a defense. I'll let the lawyers battle out the details but
        these are the pricinples.
        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Thu, 3 May 2001 23:50:44 -0400 "Brad Boda d'Aylward"
        <bradb@...> writes:
        >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: New range
        >

        >>The SCA has a specific waiver its lawyers have created. It is
        >required
        >>by the BOD for any "Official" activity such as a practice. It would
        >be
        >>available from your local lists officer or Seneschal. Check with
        >your
        >>local Seneschal about the issue of minors' waivers and medical
        >releases.
        >>These issues are tricky and are covered in the Organizational
        >Handbook.
        >>I'd go over them but they're way to detailed for an email discussion.
        >>In service to the dream,
        >>Carolus von Eulenhorst
        >>Also a Seneschal but speaking unofficially
        >>eulenhorst@...
        >>

        >Check with a lawyer. Our waivers realy aren't all that much protection
        >in a
        >court of law unlwss they are notorized at the time of signing.
        >
        >Brad

        >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • psobaka@myriad.net
        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2001
          Realy not even that. There is a lawyer in truble with the bar here in Texas
          becouse his sectary had relative notarize her sig as the lawyers. Don't even
          what to go where this is going.

          >Notarization is not a silver bullet for possible legal problems. All it is
          >is proof the person signing is properly identified and act
          >voluntarily. The actual effects vary from one jurisdiction to another.
          >
          >Simon
          >
          >Mark Hendershott, Oregon Lawyer

          Plachoya Sobaka insignificant archer; Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
        • Mark Hendershott
          Message 4 of 24 , May 6, 2001
            At 07:21 AM 5/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
            >Realy not even that. There is a lawyer in truble with the bar here in Texas
            >becouse his sectary had relative notarize her sig as the lawyers. Don't even
            >what to go where this is going.

            Precisely why places more enlightened than Texas require the notary to keep
            records including the identification requested of the customer. We can't
            prevent all fraud but we can make it harder to accomplish.

            This discussion has now strayed far from archery. I'm through.

            Simon