Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Asymmetrical Bows

  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      At 1:03 AM 5/3/01 +0000, greytaylor@... wrote:
      >Wrapping the fore of the feather with thread can help ease the
      >transition as the arrow passes over your hand. I know a number of
      >non-SCA primitive bow shooters that shoot off their hands rather than
      >use an arrow rest. All of them wrap the leading edge of their
      >feathers with thread. I've been playing with making bamboo arrows in
      >an oriental style and all of them are getting wrapped with silk
      >thread because they'll be shot off the hand (looks pretty cool,
      >too). In fact, I need to meet with Njall to get him to shoot a
      >couple of these on his Hun bow as the arrow style and long length
      >should fit the two of them well.
      >
      >Taillear

      I wrap both the base and the knock end of the fletch with silk thread
      further held down with flycaster's ring varnish. I still got fletch cuts
      on my unprotected hand while shooting them with my ELB. Full gloves are
      too hot here in the desert, so I went to a leather ring as a rest on the
      index finger of my bow hand. Seems to work pretty well and and I don't get
      nearly as sweaty as with a glove. I have a flat on the side of the ring to
      hold against the bow handle and a flat on top to serve as an arrow rest; I
      index the ring on the top of the stiching of the leather grip covering on
      the bow. I was told that impressions of such archer's rings were found in
      the mud at the Mary Rose find, but I have not researched this myself.

      Another thing people have done is to cut away a leather glove leaving only
      the index finger covered to serve as the rest. Others have sewn a simple
      leather cover to place over the finger at risk to form an arrow shelf.

      James
      jotl@...