Re: Another question (archery fitness)

  • Susan B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2001
      --- Lady Phoebe apo Korinthos <mkspet@...>
      wrote:
      > I would like to thank everyone for the info about
      draw weight and care of
      > my bows, but now I have another question:
      >
      > is there any exercises that will help with the
      back and shoulder muscles? I
      > noticed that just after 2 days of shooting my
      shoulder and neck muscles are
      > extremely sore and tight.

      Any shoulder stabilization regimen is a good start
      --try looking up rotator cuff exercises, say, in a
      book for injured or don't-want-to-be-injured athletes.

      I've found using a rowing machine to be very
      helpful, and a quick aerobic workout, besides.
      If you have access to weight machines, lat
      pull-downs, triceps extensions, and lat and pec flies
      all affect different sets of muscles that are needed
      for archery -- and life, for that matter. Don't forget
      some sort of ab work, either; it's important for both
      proper posture and spinal support/stabilization.
      The same effect can be achieved with free weights,
      if you don't have the high-tech option. In fact, some
      of my favorite exercises are "no-tech":
      1) For the "Superman" pose, all you need is a couple
      yards of clean floor. Lie face down, with your legs
      straight and your arms extended above your head. Tense
      your body like a bow, so that your arms and legs leave
      the floor (or at least feel as if they might! don't
      push so hard you hurt yourself). Hold it for 30
      seconds or so. Remember to breathe!!
      2) If you've gone and messed up your back, and it
      just won't shut up, try this: Lie down on the floor,
      on your back, with your lower legs up on a handy chair
      or sofa or bed, so that your knees and hips are more
      or less at right angles.
      __
      |___o

      Relax. Breathe. Stay there until your back lets go.
      3) For a lovely shoulder stretch, stand facing an
      open, standard-sized doorway, in the stick-em-up
      position. Rest your vertical forearms on the edges of
      the doorframe, one on each side. Lean forward,
      gently, until you just begin to feel the stretch
      across your chest. Relax. Breathe. Keep breathing.
      Hold the pose for 20-30 seconds.
      4) Find someone with whom you can trade back rubs!
      Meanwhile, have fun, don't work to hard, and when
      you're shooting, take an occasional break to stretch
      and (literally) unwind.
      -- Cathlin

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/