Mission Statement Rough Draft

  • Robert L Brunnemer
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 10, 1999
      Hallo!!!

      Ok then it seems as if there are no objections to the mission statement
      as proposed by me, but masterfully re-written by Lord Kainin. I believe
      therefore that the following will be the "official" first draft of the
      mission statement for our un-named company as of yet. Here it is:

      "The goal of ___________________ (insert chosen name) is to strive
      towards
      excellence in SCA archery through the use of historically accurate
      equipment and tackle except as limited by SCA range safety standards and
      practices. To accomplish this goal the members of _____________________
      will hold themselves to a specific standard of authenticity and strive to
      exceed it. The members of _______
      ___________ will promote and encourage the use historically accurate
      equipment and tackle, by both example and by the learning and teaching of
      period archery techniques and practices."

      Also I have been thinking about the name, and have realized that the name
      is more important than I might have thought it was in the beginning,
      because that is the first thing that people are going to know about the
      company. So we may want to get working on that also. How does this
      sound. For the first part we will go until Friday (1 week from today)
      the 17th, and then I will post all of the proposed names that have come
      up and we will have a vote. So if you have any new name ideas then could
      you please send them to me privately at hugewheels@.... Then we
      will get what we will call the company unless something better comes
      along. :-)

      Have a nice day!!!
      Robert
      Hugewheels@...
      Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

    • Wade Hutchison
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
        I think this point was brought up previously, but I chime in
        again - should we mention in the mission statement that we would
        also encourage (or require) appropriate period dress to go along
        with the archery tackle. I still have the vision of the company
        getting together, with someone showing up in tennis shoes and
        sweat pants - I think this would spoil the whole image.
        So, one minor change suggested below.
        -----Gille MacDhnouill

        At 01:20 AM 9/11/1999 , you wrote:
        >From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
        >
        >Hallo!!!
        >
        >Ok then it seems as if there are no objections to the mission statement
        >as proposed by me, but masterfully re-written by Lord Kainin. I believe
        >therefore that the following will be the "official" first draft of the
        >mission statement for our un-named company as of yet. Here it is:
        >
        >"The goal of ___________________ (insert chosen name) is to strive
        >towards
        >excellence in SCA archery through the use of historically accurate
        >equipment, tackle and dress except as limited by SCA range safety
        >standards and
        > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(or garb)

        >practices. To accomplish this goal the members of _____________________
        >will hold themselves to a specific standard of authenticity and strive to
        >exceed it. The members of _______
        >___________ will promote and encourage the use historically accurate
        >equipment and tackle, by both example and by the learning and teaching of
        >period archery techniques and practices."
        >
        >Also I have been thinking about the name, and have realized that the name
        >is more important than I might have thought it was in the beginning,
        >because that is the first thing that people are going to know about the
        >company. So we may want to get working on that also. How does this
        >sound. For the first part we will go until Friday (1 week from today)
        >the 17th, and then I will post all of the proposed names that have come
        >up and we will have a vote. So if you have any new name ideas then could
        >you please send them to me privately at hugewheels@.... Then we
        >will get what we will call the company unless something better comes
        >along. :-)
        >
        >Have a nice day!!!
        >Robert
        >Hugewheels@...
        >Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!
      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
          I still have the vision of the company
          getting together, with someone showing up in tennis shoes and
          sweat pants - I think this would spoil the whole image.
          So, one minor change suggested below.
          -----Gille MacDhnouill

          Does this mean that you cannot be a new bee in the SCA to be a member? By my estimate you will need $300-500 for the bow, $25 an arrow, $40 for shoes, $150 to $1000 for garb and another $50 for mis or be able to make it all yourself.
          James Cunningham who has not knitted his own socks...yet.
        • Lord Kainin Tepésa
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
            cannot be a new bee in the SCA to be a member? By my estimate you will
            need $300-500 for the bow, $25 an arrow, $40 for shoes, $150 to $1000
            for garb and another $50 for mis or be able to make it all yourself.

            James Cunningham who has not knitted his own socks...yet.

            </paraindent></excerpt>

            In a way yes!

            The point of this company is to set an example for others to follow
            and for the members of the company to help those who are interested in
            joining to meet the standards set by the bylaws of the company. If
            there are not standards set that make membership exclusive then why
            bother having the company, just go about business as usual. The company
            is not doing this to be mean they are doing it to let those who are
            interested and motivated to be historically accurate in their shooting
            band together in the hopes that others will follow. If when the company
            is formed you want to join get with those who are members (wether it be
            one on one or EMail) and find out what you can do to meet the criteria
            necessary for membership. I myself want to join this company, but as of
            yet cannot. I am not taking that personal, I am taking that as a
            challenge to futher my understand of history throughout the practice of
            that which is accurate to my chosen period. After all that is what the
            SCA is for, is it not?

            Kainin
          • Wade Hutchison
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
              You know, every time (this has happened in other groups)
              when you discuss authenticity, one of the complaints is
              the _cost_ of being authentic. Yes, it's going to cost to
              be authentic. The amount that it costs is going to vary
              with the time period that you're interested in. I would
              doubt that anyone who is brand new to the SCA will be
              joining the company in their first month, or maybe even in
              their first year. There are lots of archery activities
              out there for new people which won't require the level of
              re-enactment that some of us are striving for. By it's nature,
              a company of authentic bowmen will not be all-inclusive.
              My guess is that we won't be dressing up and shooting in full
              kit except at larger events.
              -----Gille

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                How do other authenticity groups handle this? Is anybody out there a civil
                war or revoltionary War reenactor?

                James Cunningham

              • aleksei1@juno.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                  James,
                  I'm not sure where you do your buying, but unless you are planning
                  on getting a custom made yew mereheath (sp)bow made by a major league
                  bowyer, good backed and unbacked bows can be had for about $100. Three
                  Rivers Archery (www.3riversarchery.com) has self-nocked shafting
                  (cat.#14, pg 62) for about $50 per dozen (I bet several of the good
                  gentles on this list could make arrows for you as well) As far as the
                  clothes, normal SCA event clothing would do.
                  HL Aleksei Zateev
                  (who wears E.German guard boots, has a russian persona, and shoots an
                  english style longbow)
                  AnTir

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                    Actually, my (original) point was that for the type of group under
                    discussion, normal event clothes _may not_ be good enough.

                    Oh - I'll have to get the name of the vendor, but at a recent
                    traditional shoot, there was a guy selling self-nocked bare
                    shafts for $18.00/doz. He had tapered shafting with the
                    (plastic) nock taper already cut in for 10.50/doz (in ash).

                    -----Gille

                    At 02:37 PM 9/13/1999 , you wrote:
                    >From: aleksei1@...
                    >
                    >James,
                    ><snip>
                    >gentles on this list could make arrows for you as well) As far as the
                    >clothes, normal SCA event clothing would do.
                    >HL Aleksei Zateev
                    >(who wears E.German guard boots, has a russian persona, and shoots an
                    >english style longbow)
                    >AnTir
                  • KC
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                      Please share with us all were you can get a good bow for $100. I am more
                      than interested! I would also like more specifics on 3 Rivers have self
                      nocked arrows. I could not find them on their web catalog or in the
                      printed catalog. I may have missed them, could you direct me to them
                      please. Since I build custom arrows I am always looking for others that do
                      too for price comparisons or good deals. Thanks.

                      Karrick

                      (snip)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                          In a message dated 9/13/99 1:48:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          aleksei1@... writes:

                          <<
                          > Does this mean that you cannot be a new bee in the SCA to be a
                          >member? By my estimate you will need $300-500 for the bow, $25 an
                          >arrow, $40 for shoes, $150 to $1000 for garb and another $50 for mis
                          >or be able to make it all yourself.
                          > James Cunningham who has not knitted his own socks...yet.

                          I a selling some bows now they are old Indian bows ranging weight fro 30 to
                          68 pounds the most I sell them for is $80. but this is not the issue I am
                          having with this new "Guild" we joined the SCA to have fun and learn to me
                          this seems to be another way of making the SCA a compulsive authenticity
                          group, we do not need to sergratate our selves from those that are just
                          starting into the SCA or archery yes we can encourage those that are
                          interested in authentic equipment but that comes in time and interest not in
                          strutting around like a peacock with an attitude of "you are just shooting a
                          plastic recurve" or you are "using a back quiver"and so on. We learn from
                          example and interest.
                          I still shoot my old war bow in combat it is painted fiber glass and it has
                          over 20 yrs. Experience on the field it has had a bounty put on it and has a
                          history no I will not stop using it until it is time to retire it. I t can
                          take a hit and it can take being stomped on, where a wooden bow would have
                          broken.
                          We all know stick jocks that would love to break an archers bow.
                          For target shooting yes wood period bows are great.
                        • Robert L Brunnemer
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                            Hallo!!!

                            Well I would love the idea that we would also put in there garb, but at
                            the moment I think that the best thing to do would to try and add that in
                            at a later date. Because at the moment we are trying to gather members.
                            When we have members then I think that it would be good to have the
                            change institute garb. I would also like to see one day at a war
                            everyone in it wearing the same outfit, just to make us look spiffy, but
                            I think that is best left to the evolution stage not the beginning. :-)

                            Have a nice day!!!
                            Robert
                            Hugewheels@...
                            Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                          • Chad and Erin Wilson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                              At 10:57 AM 9/13/99 -0500, you wrote:

                              >>Does this mean that you cannot be a new bee in the SCA to be a member?
                              >>By my estimate you will need $300-500 for the bow, $25 an arrow, $40 for
                              >>shoes, $150 to $1000 for garb and another $50 for mis or be able to make
                              >>it all yourself.
                              >>
                              >>James Cunningham who has not knitted his own socks...yet.
                              >>

                              > In a way yes!
                              >
                              > The point of this company is to set an example for others to follow and
                              >for the members of the company to help those who are interested in joining
                              >to meet the standards set by the bylaws of the company. If there are not
                              >standards set that make membership exclusive then why bother having the
                              >company, just go about business as usual. The company is not doing this to
                              >be mean they are doing it to let those who are interested and motivated to
                              >be historically accurate in their shooting band together in the hopes that
                              >others will follow. If when the company is formed you want to join get with
                              >those who are members (wether it be one on one or EMail) and find out what
                              >you can do to meet the criteria necessary for membership. I myself want to
                              >join this company, but as of yet cannot. I am not taking that personal, I
                              >am taking that as a challenge to futher my understand of history throughout
                              >the practice of that which is accurate to my chosen period. After all that
                              >is what the SCA is for, is it not?

                              If you start concentrating on the little details, do you not lose the focus
                              of the overall story going on? The SCA is about having fun, too. What
                              some of you propose sounds stuffy and overbearing. Almost as painful banal
                              as watching someone wear full elizabethan garb to court, and looking very
                              uncomfortable. You need to find a balance point.

                              -w
                            • Robert w stephenson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                                And shoots better than me. See you at Autumn War?
                                Knut

                              • aleksei1@xxxx.xxx
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                                  Hey Papa,
                                  I'm not sure how much time I'll get to spend there (work, don't ya
                                  know) but I plan on being there.
                                  Aleksei
                                • aleksei1@xxxx.xxx
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 13, 1999
                                    The self nocked shafts were in catalog #14, page 62 item 6209..in the
                                    primitive section. As for the bows, I found some listed in the
                                    classified section of Traditional Bowhunter and purchased 3 from Taylor
                                    made Bows a couple of years ago; sorry I lost the address, it was posted
                                    on the list at that time (anybody got a better memory-or file system?)
                                    These are Hickory or Hickory backed Red Cedar (much nicer)and just needed
                                    finishing and adding a grip. They cost $45 ea and shoot just fine. If I
                                    can find the info for them I'll repost it.
                                    Aleksei
                                  • Lord Kainin Tepésa
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 14, 1999
                                      ---------------------------------SNIP-----------------------------------
                                      >I a selling some bows now they are old Indian bows ranging weight fro 30 to
                                      >68 pounds the most I sell them for is $80. but this is not the issue I am
                                      >having with this new "Guild" we joined the SCA to have fun and learn to me
                                      >this seems to be another way of making the SCA a compulsive authenticity
                                      >group, we do not need to sergratate our selves from those that are just
                                      >starting into the SCA or archery yes we can encourage those that are
                                      >interested in authentic equipment but that comes in time and interest not in
                                      >strutting around like a peacock with an attitude of "you are just shooting a
                                      >plastic recurve" or you are "using a back quiver"and so on. We learn from
                                      >example and interest.
                                      >I still shoot my old war bow in combat it is painted fiber glass and it has
                                      >over 20 yrs. Experience on the field it has had a bounty put on it and has a
                                      >history no I will not stop using it until it is time to retire it. I t can
                                      >take a hit and it can take being stomped on, where a wooden bow would have
                                      >broken.
                                      >We all know stick jocks that would love to break an archers bow.
                                      >For target shooting yes wood period bows are great.

                                      First of all we are talking target archery in the rules of the company,
                                      combat is a whole other realm and I am afraid that though my armour and
                                      subsequent clothing is period my bow (and arrows obviously) never will be
                                      because I do not want my bow broken and so I use the $40.00 black
                                      fiberglass recurve from Three Rivers Archery and always will.
                                      As far as "strutting around like a peacock" this should not and will not
                                      be the attitude of the company. We are not doing this to give us cause to
                                      put you down. We are doing this for us. If you do not want to join do not
                                      feel that you need to be historical accurate to get the most out of the SCA
                                      than that is great. The SCA is a very all inclusive place and everyone is
                                      encouraged to play how they see fit in the confines of the safety
                                      standards. Personally I want everyone to play and have fun no matter what.
                                      I want the SCA to exclude no one and be accepting of everyone. All I ask is
                                      that you do the same. Be accepting of a group of people who want to be
                                      wholly accurate to their period.

                                      Kainin
                                    • Lord Kainin Tepésa
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 14, 1999
                                        --------------------------SNIP-------------------------------------------
                                        >If you start concentrating on the little details, do you not lose the focus
                                        >of the overall story going on? The SCA is about having fun, too. What
                                        >some of you propose sounds stuffy and overbearing. Almost as painful banal
                                        >as watching someone wear full elizabethan garb to court, and looking very
                                        >uncomfortable. You need to find a balance point.

                                        This proposed group is not for everyone. If you don't like what they are
                                        doing, do not feel it is what you want from the SCA, then don't join. They
                                        plan on having fun by being period, may seem "stuffy" to you, seems like a
                                        blast to me. Then again I wear full Landsknecht garb to court and by your
                                        standards must look VERY uncomfortable. :-)

                                        Kainin
                                      • HUGH MORRIS
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 14, 1999
                                          He better be there!
                                          Loric

                                          > From: Robert w stephenson <tradarch@...>
                                          >
                                          > And shoots better than me. See you at Autumn War?
                                          > Knut
                                          > >From: aleksei1@...
                                          (Snip)
                                          As far as the
                                          > >clothes, normal SCA event clothing would do. HL Aleksei Zateev
                                          > >(who wears E.German guard boots, has a russian persona, and shoots an
                                          > >english style longbow)
                                          > >AnTir
                                        • Karl Sandhoff
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 14, 1999
                                            I can make reasonably period arrows for about $2.50 each (which are
                                            really needed for SCA shooting anyway), I've seen bows quoted for
                                            $100-$175, I've helped newbies make garb (including shoe covers from
                                            scraps) for an afternoon's work and about $25, and about $25 for scrap
                                            leather and findings for acoutrements (which they need for shooting
                                            anyway). This makes a complete setup for about $250. A complete newbie
                                            probably wouldn't have the interest or knowledge of the group yet either.
                                            Most newbies with enough interest in period activities will have garb by
                                            the time they find us. And no, the SCA is not a cheap hobby. Never has
                                            been. We just don't realize how much we're spending on it.
                                            Carolus von Eulenhorst

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 28, 1999
                                              Hallo!!!

                                              I like the idea Ancel talked about, with the large amount of authenticity
                                              that he has for his other groups. And that would definitely be ideal,
                                              but I don't think that really that would be require the same amount of
                                              authenticity. But to a smaller extent maybe it would work out. I think
                                              that the best thing to do with this would be to have it appear to be
                                              authentic from 10' or more. And I think that all of the hand sewing of
                                              seams would be a bit much. I think throughout all of this rambling you
                                              get the idea of what I am saying.

                                              Have a nice day!!!
                                              Robert
                                              Hugewheels@...
                                              Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                                            • Karl W. Evoy
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 23, 2000
                                                I know I'm late in replying to this post, but my computer has been down
                                                since late July, and I just got the new one hooked up. I have been wading
                                                through the 900+ e-mails (most from this list) and have been most interested
                                                by the various threads involving the Period Archry Company (they've kind of
                                                braided themselves into a bowstring).
                                                I belong to a Revolutionary War Unit, and the required level of
                                                authenticity
                                                to field is very high. The most inauthentic objects I have seen on the field
                                                have been modern pattern shoes, and these are hidden under canvas
                                                half-leggings. Any modern items are hidden away in campboxes, haversacks,
                                                etc. All visable seams are hand sewn, buttons are of a period pattern, etc.
                                                The cost is rather high by our standards, rangeing from a few hundred
                                                dollars for a militia unit ( most of the cost being the musket, and units
                                                frequently have members with spare gear to loan newcomers) to a few thousand
                                                for the well dressed British Grenedier or Fusilier ( fussy uniform details
                                                and those impressive bearskin hats!)
                                                As I can attest to, this level of commitment to period detail is not
                                                for everyone. However, the SCA is a very inclusive orginization, as it
                                                should be. This is what makes it a great place to play, learn, teach and do.
                                                However, I feel this proposed Company should require a higher level of
                                                authenticity, not to be a snobbish, exclusive club within the SCA, but
                                                because that can be fun and rewarding also. Ancel