Re: [SCA-Archery] While on the subject of Huns, and Mongols, and Magyars...

  • Sandra Jaqua
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 12:35 PM
      Just ask my husband, he's nigh unto impossible to stop his gushing over
      his. *wink* Funny thing is, I concur. He ordered his horsebow, and received
      it on either a Tuesday or Weds. I think he shot about a half hour of
      practice with it that week. He came in the house afterwards, exclaiming "I
      LOVE this bow!" That weekend, he used it at the Gyldenholt Baronial Archery
      Championship. And won, in stiff competition. He says "You'll have to pry it
      out of my cold dead hands to take it from me." Kind of like my feelings for
      my crossbow.
      On his urging (ok, stronger than that) I bought a Hun Sport. It draws
      more smoothly than any bow I've ever played with. No stacking. I've yet to
      smack my arm with it, and with every other recurve and longbow I've ever
      used I would end every practice or competition with a bruise, even wearing
      an arm gaurd. I'm trying to "get over" my habitual flinch caused by that.
      Now if only I was a good archer......
      Allesaundra de Crosthwaite

    • PLUNKETTARCHER@WEBTV.NET
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 5:52 PM
        GREETINGS TO ALL. YES , I HAVE A BIT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THE " HORSE
        BOWS". I HAVE IN MY ARSENAL AT THE PRESENT TIME, A 45# TALL MAGYAR (USED
        BY ME), A 30# SCYTHIAN ( USED BY MY GRANDDAUGHTER), AN OTHER 40#
        SCYTHIAN (DRAWING 80# @ 20") ON MY 3RD CENT, BC HAN CROSSBOW, AND A
        MODIFIED MAGYAR SPORT ( 50# NOW 125# VERY SHORT SYIAHS) TO BE USED ON A
        CROSSBOW! ONE EAR GOT BROKEN IN HALF. PRESTO, SIMPLE MODIFICATION. EARS
        NOW 1 1/2" LONG. YES, I REALLY ENJOY THE BOWS. THEY ARE A GOOD VALUE FOR
        THE PRICE. AND THEY LOOK BETTER THAN THOSE " LONG WOOD STICKS". THEY
        SHOOT LIKE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE. GO FOR IT. YIS, LORD ABNER DE PLUNKETT
      • Ayllytha'Píobaire
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 6:39 PM
          --- PLUNKETTARCHER@... wrote:
          > THE PRICE. AND THEY LOOK BETTER THAN THOSE " LONG
          > WOOD STICKS". THEY
          > SHOOT LIKE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE. GO FOR IT. YIS, LORD
          > ABNER DE PLUNKETT

          Hey, now. i happen to prefer those 'long wood sticks'
          -- i love their efficient simplicity.

          =====
          8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
          Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
          For your next feast and/or revel, visit
          http://www.thewildoats.com !

        • woolyfsh
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 7:39 PM
            I have a Magyar sport ... I will use it as a demo bow and nothing else. Unlike
            others I am not impressed by the performance, cast, or shock qualities of the
            weapon. I would say that it was a good starter bow if it was not for the price.

            Just my opinion,
            Nicetas

            ...bows, that is...does anyone have any experience
            (either personal or second hand) with the Horsebosw
            (as in the name of the maker? I know that there was
            just now a recent, positive comment re same; any other
            opinions? Are they worth the money?

            William

            Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows