Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: "period targets and goose feathers"

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2001
      >I have always been under the impression that the 'two concentric circles' on
      >simple illustrations were representative of a wreath - considered a very
      >popular medieval target. Most of the times I have seen these circles, there
      >has been a single color in the center and the outside, and a contrasting color
      >between the rings. The wreath target was significant in that it taught the
      >skills needed for the time - hit or miss what you are aiming at, no partial
      >points.
      >[snip]
      >All of which were hit-or-miss targets. It is not until well into the age of
      >gentlemanly competition that we started making allowances and giving
      >points for
      >a 'good show' but not a direct hit.

      Except one thing seems to be overlooked here ...

      You have a backstop ... a piece of trunk, or a mound of dirt, etc.

      You have a 'thick' wreath ...

      You have the area inside the wreath.

      Even if 'points' were only ever given for hitting inside the wreath, the
      basic idea is still there.

      You know if you HIT the wreath. You were pretty close. You know if you
      hit the backstop, you were close, but not that close. If you missed the
      backstop, you know you sucked :)

      Point being, even if it was never 'scored' that way, the perception would
      still be there, of hitting in the ring, the wreath, the backstop, or
      missing completely. How things were 'scored' in a competition is 'sorta'
      irrevelant at this point ...

      We could just as easily be scoring royal rounds as: golds & reds count as 1
      point, nothing else matters. And get about the same effect we do now -
      just with a bit less specificity ...

      The real question was of the idea of concentric circles being period, and
      it sounds like they were (although fewer of them, 2 or 3 at most, the inner
      ring of a wreath, the outer ring of the wreath, the ring of the
      matt/stump/whatever target is made of)

      Siegfried

      Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
    • Judi McFarlandHudson
      Message 34 of 34 , May 22, 2001
        > In the japanese middle ages the competition or ceremonial targets
        were
        > dummies shaped as animals, or square pieces of wood (yabusame,
        mounted
        > archery), leaves, flowers, straw bales, doorways (sanjusangendo
        > competition), fans, for some shoots even live dogs were used
        (iunemono).
        > Only the imagination was and is the limit.

        Kind gentles,
        Where can I get more info on this (yabusame) target spoken of? I went
        to the Ft. Dodge Archery Festival and took some of the mounted
        classes there. They used a LARGE round hay tower with oversized
        targets. I need to start getting more traditional with my equipment.
        I'm planning on doing some demos with my horse (Southdowns, Meridies)
        on this subject in the next year or so.

        Please send me the info directly, as I am set for web-read only.
        ggarrett@...

        Much thanks,
        Genvieve d'Argent Chene