Re: [SCA-Archery] Glasses

  • Dean Hardage
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2001
      I personally use the point of my chin as a touchpoint. That keeps it clear
      of any potential entanglements around my face or head.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001

        >I guess I'm lucky. My stance and release have never caught my specs. I do
        >have some, er, uh, 'fond' memories of other parts of me meeting the string.
        >Still haven't gotten that one figured out so I have to use a bracer.
        >
        >Dean Sterling of Herefordshire

        Other parts.

        Too true. I have a difficult time seeing the target through my tears when
        the string takes out one of my mustash hairs. Waaaahhhhh!!!

        Brad
      • Ayllytha'Píobaire
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
          --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
          > Too true. I have a difficult time seeing the target
          > through my tears when
          > the string takes out one of my mustash hairs.
          > Waaaahhhhh!!!

          My Lord is screaming in sympathy....

          ....i'm howling with laughter.

          i mean, 'titty whack' hurts, but i can laugh about it
          in a few minutes.

          =====
          8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
          Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
          For your next feast and/or revel, visit
          http://www.thewildoats.com !

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
            And you'll be amazed at just how strong the shoulder gets. My elbow
            doesn't want to turn out naturally either so I go thru this all the time.
            In service to the dream,
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:21:48 -0700 (PDT) Ayllyth "a'P�obaire"
            <ayllyth@...> writes:

            >--- Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
            >wrote:
            >> On the other hand this can put inconsistant
            >> diferential pressure of the bowstring affecting the
            >> flight of the arrow. Quartering or opening of the
            >> stance has much less effect when the shoulder is
            >> properly rotated and the elbow turned outward. This
            >> solution eliminates or minimizes string slap, bow
            >> creep, 'titty whack', and other nasties. Of course,
            >> like other aspects of form, it must be learned,
            >> practiced, and performed rigorously to work.
            >
            >And when one's elbow doesn't naturally turn out, one
            >has to just live with the joint discomfort until the
            >shoulder gets used to it....
            >

            >....though it doesn't ache as badly as i was afraid.
            >And having my arm that way *does* feel much more secure.
            >
            >=====
            >8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
            >Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
            >For your next feast and/or revel, visit
            >http://www.thewildoats.com !

            >http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=text

            >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

            >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Ayllytha'Píobaire
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2001
              wrote:
              > And you'll be amazed at just how strong the shoulder
              > gets. My elbow
              > doesn't want to turn out naturally either so I go
              > thru this all the time.

              Ahhh, domo, sensei! That's reassuring!

              Every now and then i just remind myself that at least
              i'm not one of those that has elbow hyperflexion
              (common amongst asians). i don't even want to *think*
              about what that would be like!

              =====
              8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2001
                Sorry for bandwidth:

                Aillinn, the Lucent addy bounced, so i suppose that
                one is defunct now. 8)

                We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussions....

                =====
                8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
                Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
                For your next feast and/or revel, visit
                http://www.thewildoats.com !

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Lewis Tanzos
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2001
                  > Every now and then i just remind myself that at least i'm not one of
                  > those that has elbow hyperflexion (common amongst asians). i don't
                  > even want to *think* about what that would be like!

                  "Elbow hyperflexion"? You mean it bends backwards?

                  I have that 'problem'. It's not a problem. You hit it several times
                  when you're just starting out, and you never, ever, ever do it again.
                  It's painful enough to permenantly fix your form *REALLY* fast.

                  - Istvan
                • Ayllytha'Píobaire
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2001
                    --- Lewis Tanzos <lewis@...> wrote:
                    > "Elbow hyperflexion"? You mean it bends backwards?
                    >

                    > I have that 'problem'. It's not a problem. You hit
                    > it several times
                    > when you're just starting out, and you never, ever,
                    > ever do it again.
                    > It's painful enough to permenantly fix your form
                    > *REALLY* fast.

                    i never said it was a problem....though i've seen it a
                    lot (thought it was normal and i wasn't!), it never
                    fails to look painful to me!

                    Talk about Pavlovian training! ;)

                    =====
                    8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
                    Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
                    For your next feast and/or revel, visit
                    http://www.thewildoats.com !

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 7, 2001

                      >> It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance
                      >> because this allows bow
                      >> creep to develope which will seriously affect your
                      >
                      >i'm sorry, tyro question: quarter your stance? Bow
                      >creep?
                      >

                      >8) Ayllyth a'Píobaire 8)
                      >Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid

                      Bow creep occurs when the bow arm 'drifts' across in front of the body. When
                      the bow arm 'creeps' across like this the muscles of the back have to tense
                      up to keep the bow on line. On release the archer gets a little jump when
                      the pressure of pulling the bow across the body is released and the tensed
                      muscles have no more pressure on them.

                      I teach new archers to 'pinch a quarter' between their sholder blades to
                      maintain the erect and straight posture required for consistancy. I
                      encourage ladies to draw straight into the side of their breast (sometimes
                      creasing the braw cup). On release, the string travels directly away from
                      the breast which avoids 'titty whack'.

                      Brad