RE: [SCA-Archery] Glasses (was Hit offset from aim)

  • MCARTHUR JAMES
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      Aye, and the SCa is full of busty ladies: my dear lady
      wife being no exception! And we lords are grateful!
      ;-)

      William MacArthur

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
        Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Glasses (was Hit offset from aim)

        >Hello Ayllyth -
        >
        >I wear "coke bottle" bifocals myself, but my glasses have never caused a
        >problem for me.
        >
        >One thought: Is your anchor point fairly low on your face? A classic
        >reference point is for your index finger to be able to feel your "eye
        >tooth", and this would put the angle formed by the string below most
        >glasses.

        I anchor at the corner of my mouth which puts the bow string down fight in
        front of my glasses. Traditional anchor for a longbow is back next to the
        ear but if I anchored there, I'd chase my glasses five yards down range.

        >Another thought: you could "open" your stance a bit -- instead of having
        >your feet and shoulders on a directly perpendicular line to the target,
        >angle yourself somewhat short of 90 degrees (ie: face the target a bit).
        > This is a help to busty ladies as well.
        >
        >I hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you on the field someday!
        >-- Ygraine

        It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance because this allows bow
        creep to develope which will seriously affect your consistancy. The straight
        stance for busty ladies means that they should draw the string straight into
        the *side* of the breast. On release, the string goes straight away from the
        breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

        Brad
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
          On the other hand this can put inconsistant diferential pressure of the bowstring affecting the flight of the arrow. Quartering or opening of the stance has much less effect when the shoulder is properly rotated and the elbow turned outward. This solution eliminates or minimizes string slap, bow creep, 'titty whack', and other nasties. Of course, like other aspects of form, it must be learned, practiced, and performed rigorously to work.
          Carolus von Eulenhorst

          It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance because this allows bow
          creep to develope which will seriously affect your consistancy. The straight
          stance for busty ladies means that they should draw the string straight into
          the *side* of the breast. On release, the string goes straight away from the
          breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

          Brad
          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
        • Ayllytha'Píobaire
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
            --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
            > I anchor at the corner of my mouth which puts the
            > bow string down fight in
            > front of my glasses. Traditional anchor for a
            > longbow is back next to the
            > ear but if I anchored there, I'd chase my glasses
            > five yards down range.

            Yup, discovered that. 'cept mine are so heavy they
            just kind of *ploppped* in front of me.

            When i did move my anchor forward from my ear, i
            didn't hit my specs, i did feel more consistent, but i
            felt 'weak'. Every third arrow just sort of glided to
            plink the base of the butt, rather than thwacking in
            the face of it.

            > It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance
            > because this allows bow
            > creep to develope which will seriously affect your

            i'm sorry, tyro question: quarter your stance? Bow
            creep?

            > consistancy. The straight
            > stance for busty ladies means that they should draw
            > the string straight into
            > the *side* of the breast. On release, the string
            > goes straight away from the
            > breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

            What a 'cute' name for something so exquisitely
            painful... ;) ... but at least it doesn't leave us
            curled on the ground retching.

            Problem i have with that technique is that there
            really isn't any 'side' to pull into. i thought i was
            safe from said 'whack' -- not so. So i'm making a
            jerkin for protection.

            =====
            8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
              --- Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
              wrote:
              > On the other hand this can put inconsistant
              > diferential pressure of the bowstring affecting the
              > flight of the arrow. Quartering or opening of the
              > stance has much less effect when the shoulder is
              > properly rotated and the elbow turned outward. This
              > solution eliminates or minimizes string slap, bow
              > creep, 'titty whack', and other nasties. Of course,
              > like other aspects of form, it must be learned,
              > practiced, and performed rigorously to work.

              And when one's elbow doesn't naturally turn out, one
              has to just live with the joint discomfort until the
              shoulder gets used to it....

              ....though it doesn't ache as badly as i was afraid.
              And having my arm that way *does* feel much more secure.

              =====
              8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)