RE: [SCA-Archery] Glasses (was Hit offset from aim)

  • Susan Kell
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hello Ayllyth -

      I wear "coke bottle" bifocals myself, but my glasses have never caused a
      problem for me.

      One thought: Is your anchor point fairly low on your face? A classic
      reference point is for your index finger to be able to feel your "eye
      tooth", and this would put the angle formed by the string below most
      glasses.

      Another thought: you could "open" your stance a bit -- instead of having
      your feet and shoulders on a directly perpendicular line to the target,
      angle yourself somewhat short of 90 degrees (ie: face the target a bit).
      This is a help to busty ladies as well.

      I hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you on the field someday!
      -- Ygraine

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- Susan Kell <susan_kell@...> wrote:
        > Hello Ayllyth -
        >
        > I wear "coke bottle" bifocals myself, but my glasses
        > have never caused a
        > problem for me.
        >
        > One thought: Is your anchor point fairly low on your
        > face? A classic
        > reference point is for your index finger to be able
        > to feel your "eye
        > tooth", and this would put the angle formed by the
        > string below most
        > glasses.

        i think i touch my ear, but i'm gonna try with
        different touchpoints today.

        > Another thought: you could "open" your stance a bit
        > -- instead of having
        > your feet and shoulders on a directly perpendicular
        > line to the target,
        > angle yourself somewhat short of 90 degrees (ie:
        > face the target a bit).
        > This is a help to busty ladies as well.

        Well, i'm most certainly not busty, but boy! i've
        discovered the problem! ;) i've modified my stance so
        that the upper bowtip is canted to the right -- so far
        as i can tell, i literally cannot draw across my body
        now.

        > I hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you
        > on the field someday!
        > -- Ygraine

        's mootooal! ;) Thank you!

        =====
        8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
        Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
        For your next feast and/or revel, visit
        http://www.thewildoats.com !

      • MCARTHUR JAMES
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
          Aye, and the SCa is full of busty ladies: my dear lady
          wife being no exception! And we lords are grateful!
          ;-)

          William MacArthur

        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
            Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Glasses (was Hit offset from aim)

            >Hello Ayllyth -
            >
            >I wear "coke bottle" bifocals myself, but my glasses have never caused a
            >problem for me.
            >
            >One thought: Is your anchor point fairly low on your face? A classic
            >reference point is for your index finger to be able to feel your "eye
            >tooth", and this would put the angle formed by the string below most
            >glasses.

            I anchor at the corner of my mouth which puts the bow string down fight in
            front of my glasses. Traditional anchor for a longbow is back next to the
            ear but if I anchored there, I'd chase my glasses five yards down range.

            >Another thought: you could "open" your stance a bit -- instead of having
            >your feet and shoulders on a directly perpendicular line to the target,
            >angle yourself somewhat short of 90 degrees (ie: face the target a bit).
            > This is a help to busty ladies as well.
            >
            >I hope this helps, and I look forward to meeting you on the field someday!
            >-- Ygraine

            It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance because this allows bow
            creep to develope which will seriously affect your consistancy. The straight
            stance for busty ladies means that they should draw the string straight into
            the *side* of the breast. On release, the string goes straight away from the
            breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

            Brad
          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
              On the other hand this can put inconsistant diferential pressure of the bowstring affecting the flight of the arrow. Quartering or opening of the stance has much less effect when the shoulder is properly rotated and the elbow turned outward. This solution eliminates or minimizes string slap, bow creep, 'titty whack', and other nasties. Of course, like other aspects of form, it must be learned, practiced, and performed rigorously to work.
              Carolus von Eulenhorst

              It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance because this allows bow
              creep to develope which will seriously affect your consistancy. The straight
              stance for busty ladies means that they should draw the string straight into
              the *side* of the breast. On release, the string goes straight away from the
              breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

              Brad
              In service to the dream,
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
            • Ayllytha'Píobaire
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
                --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
                > I anchor at the corner of my mouth which puts the
                > bow string down fight in
                > front of my glasses. Traditional anchor for a
                > longbow is back next to the
                > ear but if I anchored there, I'd chase my glasses
                > five yards down range.

                Yup, discovered that. 'cept mine are so heavy they
                just kind of *ploppped* in front of me.

                When i did move my anchor forward from my ear, i
                didn't hit my specs, i did feel more consistent, but i
                felt 'weak'. Every third arrow just sort of glided to
                plink the base of the butt, rather than thwacking in
                the face of it.

                > It's not always the best idea to quarter your stance
                > because this allows bow
                > creep to develope which will seriously affect your

                i'm sorry, tyro question: quarter your stance? Bow
                creep?

                > consistancy. The straight
                > stance for busty ladies means that they should draw
                > the string straight into
                > the *side* of the breast. On release, the string
                > goes straight away from the
                > breast thereby avoiding 'titty whack'.

                What a 'cute' name for something so exquisitely
                painful... ;) ... but at least it doesn't leave us
                curled on the ground retching.

                Problem i have with that technique is that there
                really isn't any 'side' to pull into. i thought i was
                safe from said 'whack' -- not so. So i'm making a
                jerkin for protection.

                =====
                8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
                  --- Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
                  wrote:
                  > On the other hand this can put inconsistant
                  > diferential pressure of the bowstring affecting the
                  > flight of the arrow. Quartering or opening of the
                  > stance has much less effect when the shoulder is
                  > properly rotated and the elbow turned outward. This
                  > solution eliminates or minimizes string slap, bow
                  > creep, 'titty whack', and other nasties. Of course,
                  > like other aspects of form, it must be learned,
                  > practiced, and performed rigorously to work.

                  And when one's elbow doesn't naturally turn out, one
                  has to just live with the joint discomfort until the
                  shoulder gets used to it....

                  ....though it doesn't ache as badly as i was afraid.
                  And having my arm that way *does* feel much more secure.

                  =====
                  8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)