Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: "period targets and goose feathers"

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 26, 2001
      Greetings to the list,
      Please show me an example of a period target other than the one
      illumination in the psalter. To my knowledge, the only "period" targets
      that
      we know of are straw rings and wands.
      The practice of shooting at circle targets at set distances is after
      period. Self bows are definitely period as are laminated bows, they just
      didn't have fiberglass, and most of the world outside of Western Europe
      used laminated(composite) bows.
      Footed shafts are period, though RARE.
      I use goose feathers for fletching that I collect. I live by the
      Atlantic coast and have geese all over, but they are Canadian geese and
      not the same as the European. I challenge any archer to know the
      difference in feathers once an arrow is fletched and the fletching is
      trimmed.( Oh, you CAN tell the difference, but you really have to know
      your feathers and look real close) Most of the time I use turkey
      feathers. For those that want to be painfully accurate, try making your
      arrow shafts by hand by scraping in a block and
      cutting bulbous self nocks.
      I admire those that really try to be historically accurate, but I
      don't ever want to frighten off an archer that just wants to play with
      the equipment that is readily available.
      -Geoffrei

    • Judi McFarlandHudson
      Message 34 of 34 , May 22 1:59 AM
        > In the japanese middle ages the competition or ceremonial targets
        were
        > dummies shaped as animals, or square pieces of wood (yabusame,
        mounted
        > archery), leaves, flowers, straw bales, doorways (sanjusangendo
        > competition), fans, for some shoots even live dogs were used
        (iunemono).
        > Only the imagination was and is the limit.

        Kind gentles,
        Where can I get more info on this (yabusame) target spoken of? I went
        to the Ft. Dodge Archery Festival and took some of the mounted
        classes there. They used a LARGE round hay tower with oversized
        targets. I need to start getting more traditional with my equipment.
        I'm planning on doing some demos with my horse (Southdowns, Meridies)
        on this subject in the next year or so.

        Please send me the info directly, as I am set for web-read only.
        ggarrett@...

        Much thanks,
        Genvieve d'Argent Chene