Re: garb concerns

  • Daniel W Stratton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2001
      > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Kittye >^..^<" <bad_kittye6@a...> wrote:
      > > Perhaps this is only shows my uneducated newbie-ness, but what, if
      > anything, is the best kind of garb to wear whilst doing archery?

      > My uneducated newbie-ness was wondering the same thing.
      > Kyara

      As Nigel said just now I must agree. This is a good question, and in my
      opinion, goes even farther than just not catching your sleeve or hair in
      the string; though a surprising number of archers seem to tuck their
      lyrapipe into their belt when shooting...
      I recommend tucking in any dangles you may be wearing, as we have seen
      disastrous results of catching jewelry on occasion, once requiring a
      number of stitches, as the badge was a copper arrow, and somehow it got
      ripped off and thrust into the forearm. A very unpleasant lesson for
      Adelard, especially as he was the MIC that day. I can't imagine anything
      much more embarrassing than having to tell the hospital staff, as they
      stitch you up, that you're the Safety Officer.
      However, in the big picture, try to be true to your persona. If Saxon,
      dress Saxon. One of the few complaints I've heard (and disagree with) is
      that the archers don't present an image that shows that they are archers
      well. Perhaps they are looking for a uniform military look, of some kind,
      but I can't imaging what that would be, across cultures and a thousand
      years.
      With most styles of our garb, it is possible to shoot, and even some of
      the puffy stuff can be tied back or tied down. Arwenna demos in a
      houpelande (I don't know of anything bigger), and ties the big sleeves
      back for shooting if necessary. (she made a button and loop in the
      sleeves for that usage). As that garb naturally comes with a cotehardie
      under dress with fitted sleeves (she made hers without buttons down the
      sleeve so she can wear an arm guard), it works out quite well. The
      Medieval illustrations show a great variety of dress on shooters.
      Practicality suggests making a snug sleeved version of your garb style,
      or lashing it down as a regular part of your preparations for shooting. I
      have, as the Henry VIII longbow illustration shows, shot in a puffy
      shirt; he rolled up his sleeves, I pull mine snugly out using my arm
      guard, and a length of cord for the upper arm. No worries.
      Check out Gaston Phoebus, there are lots of web illustrations of hunters
      in the woods in his Book of the Hunt, if you like Houpelande era France.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Well done is better than well said"