Re: [SCA-Archery] Garb?

  • psobaka@myriad.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2001
      That should be large billowing sleeves can catch bow strings.
      >Sleeve or not is a personal matter. Just rember large billowing catch bow
      >strings.

      Plachoya Sobaka insignificant archer; Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2001
        Greetings
        I beg to differ; this is perhaps one of the least inane questions I've seen in awhile. It touches the core of basic archery safety. The basic principle here is to avoid wearing loose floppy clothing, particularly sleeves, that could entangle themselves in the string. Note as well that this also involves sleeving that won't bulge or billow under an armguard. Note further that this also means: no long strings, be careful with
        liripipes and similar hood elements, be careful with long braided hair, or loose, billowy hair. Finally, do not wear decorative metal pins or cloak-rings... one day your string will catch behind them with spectacularly disastrous results.
        In essence, wear somewhat loose, comfortable clothing; clothing that on the one hand does not bind or constrict, but on the other hand shows no tendency to wander out into the drawn string. Weather is a factor as well, several hours on an outdoor range can chill even in sunny conditions, so dress as warmly as you need to.

        Cordially;
        Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

        "Kittye >^..^<" wrote:

        > Perhaps this is only shows my uneducated newbie-ness, but what, if anything, is the best kind of garb to wear whilst doing archery? What I mean is, disregarding the period, should one dress in something with a sleeve over the forearm, no sleeve, or does it really matter? I apologize for the inanity of this post, but I want to assure myself I am doing everything correctly in the learning process and leaving no room for mistakes.
        >
        > In Service,
        > Lelya de Foxfire
        > Vivat Ansteorra!
        >
        > Who needs Cupid? Matchmaker.com is the place to meet somebody.
        > FREE Two-week Trial Membership at http://www.matchmaker.com/home?rs=200015

        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • tressena2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2001
          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Kittye >^..^<" <bad_kittye6@a...> wrote:
          > Perhaps this is only shows my uneducated newbie-ness, but what, if
          anything, is the best kind of garb to wear whilst doing archery? What

          My uneducated newbie-ness was wondering the same thing.

          Kyara
        • Tanya Sanders
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2001
            >Perhaps this is only shows my uneducated newbie-ness, but what, if
            >anything, is the best kind of garb to wear whilst doing archery? What I
            >mean is, disregarding the period, should one dress in something with a
            >sleeve over the forearm, no sleeve, or does it really matter? I apologize
            >for the inanity of this post, but I want to assure myself I am doing
            >everything correctly in the learning process and leaving no room for mistakes.
            >
            >In Service,
            >Lelya de Foxfire

            I don't think this is a bad question at all. When I started shooting in
            the SCA I had only one fairly loose tunic, and I ran into problems with
            shots being ruined by the string catching in the loose fabric of the upper
            arms. I just hate it when an otherwise good shot is ruined by the string
            fouling in loose clothing. I then made a bodice to go over it. That kept
            everything above the waist under control, and pulled in the fabric under my
            arms, though it was not period for my persona. I have now switched to a
            tunic which is tighter across the chest and arms. This fits in well with
            my persona, 13th century welsh. The sleeves which extend all the way to my
            wrist, are tight enough not to bulge around the arm guard. For me this
            seems to work well. I have also seen women wearing cotehardies which are
            naturally tighter down to the waist. I guess it counts on what period you
            want to portray. You can come up with something within your persona's
            period though. Then there is always the generic peasant skirt with bodice
            and moderately tight shirt. As was said by Plachoya Sobaka the important
            thing is that nothing can catch on the string.

            I would actually love to see some pictures of people on this list with
            their equipment and garb posted in the file section.

            Tangwystyl de Gwendraeth
          • James W. Pratt Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 20, 2001
              Greetings Lelya de Foxfire

              The SCA is inclusive not exclusive and has room for both learning and
              mistakes. The only job that requires a minimum of 100% score on tests is in
              the nuclear weapons field. So relax... feel free to make a few mistakes and
              enjoy. I am not the expert on garb but loose sleeves are not the best thing
              when shooting the bow.

              James Cunningham
              Still an expert in long range artillery but former B-52H driver at Grand
              Forks ND)