Re: [SCA-Archery] Questions

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2001
      Greetings Ian,
      The question of the atlatl is better answered by some one else,
      but on the subject of the longbow: If you are refering to the British
      style longbow of Hundred Years War fame and up to HenryVIII, evidence
      shows that they were without a handle/grip covering and had a small
      arrow plate of hardwood, horn, ivory or mother of pearl to indicate
      where the arrow passed and they were all shot off of the hand with no
      shelf. There are paintings in period that show archers using longbows
      and I don't recall seeing any grip coverings. Whether or not an archer
      would do this on their own personal bow is open to speculation, it would
      make sense to protect the wood from the sweat and salts of the hands,
      but to my knowledge, there is no documentation of it. In other
      cultures, with other variations of what we now call the "longbow" grips
      were used, i.e. native American, Norse, Prehistoric Northern Europeans.
      But I don't know of any which would have what we could call a shelf. I'm
      sure that others on this list have other opinions on this and I will be
      interested to see if any can provide real documentation. All I know is
      that I use leather grips on all of my bows because it protects the wood,
      and within the last few years I don't shoot off of a shelf, just by
      personal choice.
      When it comes to southern Europe and the East, all sorts of
      interesting and beautiful grips and shelves were used, some shelves
      seperate from the bow. But these were mostly recurves, and you asked
      about longbows.
      I would love for some one to provide documentation on grips for
      period longbows, I have no intention of not using them, but would love
      to have something to show the authenticity police.
      Respectfully,
      -Geoffrei

    • Russ Leighton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2001
        It is my understanding that a glove was worn on the hand holding the bow and
        the arrow was rested on the gloved hand, at least thats how I do it.

        Ryss Michael Longshanks,
        Somewhere in Antir

        >From: "John Rockwell" <phxrock@...>
        >To: "SCA- Archery" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Questions
        >Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:09:48 -0700
        >
        >Greetings to the list members.
        >
        >What is happenings the list has been very quite lately.
        >
        >I have a couple of questions
        > Dose any know where I find some information an the Atlattle(sp?)?
        >
        >Looking at the period Longbows were they shot off the hand or was there
        >some
        >used as a rest that was held into place by the handle wrapping.
        >

        >Ian G.

        >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

      • D Humberson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2001
          Ian,

          For a really good primer on the physics of the atlatl, pics of all kinds,
          and a good intro to the sport, try www.atlatl.com. Bob Perkins, known as
          Atlatl Bob, sells his weapons at Pennsic and usually has at least two intro
          classes each year. They are trickier than they seem, but a good thrower can
          reach better than 100 yards with a dart several times heavier than an arrow.

          Ragnar Ketilsson

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2001
            Seeing as there is a lot of help for the longbow part of your question,
            I'll be one of the few with the atlatl part. You might want to try
            Thunderbird Atlatl, he's a merchant from New York and as far as events go
            is one of the few that carries atlatl merchandise that I've run across.
            His email is bob@..., don't know if he has a web site.
            He is a very good merchant as he will fix or replace most of his items if
            you preak them.

            Robert

            > On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:09:48 -0700 "John Rockwell"
            > <phxrock@...>
            > writes:
            > >Greetings to the list members.
            > >
            > >What is happenings the list has been very quite lately.
            > >
            > >I have a couple of questions
            > > Dose any know where I find some information an the
            > >Atlattle(sp?)?
            > >
            > >Looking at the period Longbows were they shot off the hand or was
            > >there some
            > >used as a rest that was held into place by the handle wrapping.
            > >

            > >Ian G.

            > >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
            > >Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

            > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Sam Cohen
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2001
              Hey is this the guy that usualy is set up next to Yumi at War?
              If so then I can also speak for his quality and the amount of
              informaiton he offers.

              Demetrious

            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2001
                I believe the world record is around 878 feet set in 1997 or 1998 using a 6 foot aluminum dart from a carbon glass atlatl.
                Carolus von Eulenhorst

                For a really good primer on the physics of the atlatl, pics of all kinds,
                and a good intro to the sport, try www.atlatl.com. Bob Perkins, known as
                Atlatl Bob, sells his weapons at Pennsic and usually has at least two intro
                classes each year. They are trickier than they seem, but a good thrower can
                reach better than 100 yards with a dart several times heavier than an arrow.

                Ragnar Ketilsson

                >From: "John Rockwell" <phxrock@...>
                >To: "SCA- Archery" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Questions
                >Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:09:48 -0700
                >
                >Greetings to the list members.
                >
                >What is happenings the list has been very quite lately.
                >
                >I have a couple of questions
                > Dose any know where I find some information an the Atlattle(sp?)?
                >
                >Looking at the period Longbows were they shot off the hand or was there
                >some
                >used as a rest that was held into place by the handle wrapping.
                >

                >Ian G.

                >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                In service to the dream,
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
              • Kincade Hayt
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2001
                  Sorry, wrong Ian, I'm Ian S. from canada...

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/