Re: [SCA-Archery] New member

  • AMENSEYA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
      Greetings

      As for this young lady finding out about the SCA in her home country by
      writing to the Corporate office in California or going on line and checking
      out the SCA website: www.sca.org. You may also want to get her a copy of the
      Archery Marshal's Handbook.

      Lord Donato Pulcinella

      "E lasia pur gratter dov'e la rogna!"
    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
        Greetings
        If by "Deputy" you mean some sort of marshal status, that would be up to
        your Kingdom's regs. Check with your Regional or the KAM for specifics.
        A glance at the Drachenwald homepage ( http://www.drachenwald.org/ )
        reveals that there are no current groups in Poland; the nearest one would be
        in Berlin, I think. I imagine that most of the people on this list could
        provide stories about new groups starting up, at least at second hand. First
        thing would be to get a group of like-minded people together and start
        holding regular meetings. Contact the Drachenwald officials for any help they
        could provide. A copy of the SCA Handbook for her would be extremely useful
        (though I quail at the thought of trying to translate it into Polish).
        She should be aware that archery in Drachenwald is fairly rare, because
        most countries in Europe have a very severe attitude (by American standards)
        about weapons control; so ranges are quite scarce, simple ownership of any
        sort of weapon is often very difficult if not outright illegal, etc. Also,
        she needs to be aware that the SCA is a very expensive hobby in Europe; site
        fees alone are often 35 to 50 dollars, American (but on the other hand, they
        are often located in genuine Mediaeval castles... <sigh>)

        Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

        Dennis Cooley wrote:

        > Greetings
        >
        > I have been asked by a new member, and archer, to the SCA, who is a
        > collage foreign exchange student, if she can be a deputy, and to ask the
        > help of this list or any others, if there is a shire and or group in her
        > home land of Poland? If not she is wanting the info on how to start one?
        > After attending her first archery event,, she is hooked on the Dream.!!
        > I am meeting with her today to find or make her the right bow, and
        > tackle. That is how serious she is.. Please if some one knows how to
        > find a contact. Or a can send contact info on their archery program, or
        > just a Shire there, she wishes to start archery there if there is none..
        > As she will be going home this summer.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > In service to the Dream
        > unto King and Crown
        > John-Paul Bowyer
        > Calontir

        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
          Start with: Drachenwald at:
          http://www.drachenwald.org/
          http://www.drachenwald.org/officers.htm#Archery
          http://www.drachenwald.org/map.htm
          Then look at other archery groups:
          http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/
          http://www.armbrust.ieo.ch/

          There is a page for starting a new group on the Drachenwald site but I did
          not see a group in Poland.

          James Cunningham
          Hope you will be able to bring her to Lillies War.

        • hamberg@fiber.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2001
            > I have been asked by a new member, and archer, to the SCA, who is a
            > collage foreign exchange student, if she can be a deputy, and to
            > ask the help of this list or any others, if there is a shire and or
            > group in her home land of Poland? If not she is wanting the info on
            > how to start one? After attending her first archery event,, she is
            > hooked on the Dream.!!

            If she is hooked on the dream and is going back to Poland why doesn't
            every officer in your local group have her as a Deputy-In-Training.
            Get her trained as everything so she can be a valuable resource for
            not only her local area but for the kingdom.

            Michael
          • Evian Blackthorn
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
              Curt Conrad wrote to the list:
              >I am new to this group and seek your advise.

              Welcome, Curt! Here goes! In response to several of your
              questions, I don't know of anything that will lead you to
              information about handbow archery in Germany/Austria in the
              thirteenth through fifteenth centuries. But don't give up
              hope. Not only are there others that might be able to help
              you on this list, but there is another option that is
              frequently done.

              You develop your persona for the time and place you
              desire. You garb yourself for that persona. You center
              almost all your activities, except archery, around that
              persona, at what ever level of accuracy you feel comfortable
              with. And then you shoot archery if and when you want to do
              so, even if it would have been unknown, or almost unknown,
              to your persons. And ignore your detractors, which you will
              get. But then, you will get your detractors even if you are
              doing EVERYTHING right. They will be those that think they
              know everything, and that everyone HAS to do it their way.

              There are plenty of those types around. But you will also
              find that most of the people you meet will not be like that.
              And archers in the archery community will generally open a
              fellow archer into their ranks gladly and quickly. These
              statements may vary from locale to locale. But they are
              generally true. Sorry I couldn't give you any specific
              information to help you develop the persona you want, as a
              Swabian Archer. But you asked the ONE question I don't know
              the answer to.>grin<.

              Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
              http://www.spider-strands.com
              Editor, Bodkin and Bolt Magazine
              http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin
              APD TEST Site
              http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm
            • richarddevere@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 20, 2001
                Greetings and Salutations,
                I am Richard de Vere, and I am a new citizen of the Middle
                Kingdom. I served in the East a long time ago, and then left shortly
                before being knighted. I recently came back to the SCA and served
                briefly as a squire under Duke Andrew, before his untimely death. I
                was about to give it all up and get out again, and some friends
                talked me into staying. I have agreed to form a new House with them,
                and work very hard to complete the goals I had originally discussed
                with His Grace, the Duke. Some of my period interests are writing,
                busty wenches, equestrianship, rapier fencing, heavy weapons,
                archery, sciences, and enjoying good food and spirits! ;o) I intend
                to become very active in the Kingdom, and look forward to exchanging
                many posts with all of you.

                Respectfully,
                Richard de Vere
                Noble by Virtue
              • Rachel Cullen
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Hi everyone
                  Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I have
                  found a recent interest in archery.
                  Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                  how much its going to cost me and more.
                  Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                  Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                  Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                  Cheers
                  Ebbony
                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2006
                    If you have an interest in Archery, this is the right place. We are
                    primarily focused on archery in the SCA which means traditional
                    archery as practiced in renaissance and middle ages Europe. Your
                    message was not clear where you live, if you could be more specific
                    we could better answer your questions.
                    Carolus

                    At 12:42 AM 12/2/2006, you wrote:

                    >Hi everyone
                    >Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I have
                    >found a recent interest in archery.
                    >Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                    >how much its going to cost me and more.
                    >Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                    >Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                    >Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                    >Cheers
                    >Ebbony

                    >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    >12/1/2006 1:12 PM

                  • Eileen Procter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2006
                      Morning Ebbony,
                      I am assuming from you address that you are from Lochac. You should get in
                      touch with your local captain of archers. His name is Delamar and his
                      contact details are on the Lochac Archers website:
                      http://www.sca.org.au/archers where you will also find lots of useful
                      information on archery in Lochac.
                      Welcome to the light side
                      Sabine

                      Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
                      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
                    • Hobbe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2006
                        I'm guessing Riverland SA, is Australia.
                        That puts you in the kingdom of Lochac.
                        http://www.sca.org.au/lochac/
                        Most likely in the Barony of Innilgard.
                        http://www.sca.org.au/innilgard/
                        -Hobbe

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Cullen"
                        <thecullenclan@...> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone
                        > Im not sure if Im in the right place, but my name is Ebbony and I
                        have
                        > found a recent interest in archery.
                        > Im want to know so much about it and where I can get the gear from,
                        > how much its going to cost me and more.
                        > Ive only done it under instruction and have not owned my own gear.
                        > Im 15 years old and live in country SA.
                        > Cant wait to buzz you all for info
                        > Cheers
                        > Ebbony

                      • Luigi Kapaj
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 4, 2006
                          I have a friend interested in finding whistle arrowheads.

                          I remember someone having one at Pennsic a few years back, believe he
                          brought it to the range for Neko's Korean style shoot.

                          If you could put us in touch with anyone who makes them, or this person who
                          had one, it would be very helpful.

                          Puppy
                          http://www.NYCMongol.com