RE: [SCA-Archery] Fletching question

  • Ronnie E. Hewitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
      Greetings Calum Friseal,
      My fletcher is set at about 1 3/4 from the fletching to the end of the
      nock...My multi-fletcher is set the same as well...seems to be the
      standard...wish ya luck

      Connor O' Connor
      Laird of Family Owls Lair

    • Simon Hondy
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
        Good morning bright and early fletchers,

        I would agree with Connor's findings, on my 11/32nd shaft I have shield
        cuts. Using the distance of 1 3/4" gives plenty of room to hold the nock,
        especially when on the line. On a set I made for my lady, with 5/16ths
        shaft I made the Indian style wedge shaped fletches, much like the Pope and
        Young style. They are 1 1/2" from the end of the nock and we find it is a
        little crowded to hold onto. That extra 1/4 inch would make them 'roomier'
        and easier to grip.

        Simon Hondy
        Baile na Scolairi

        <<From: "Ronnie E. Hewitt" <watashe@...>>>

        > Greetings Calum Friseal,
        > My fletcher is set at about 1 3/4 from the fletching to the end of the
        > nock...My multi-fletcher is set the same as well...seems to be the
        > standard...wish ya luck
        >
        > Connor O' Connor
        > Laird of Family Owls Lair
        >
        > ><< From: ravn@... [mailto:ravn@...]>>
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an optimum
        > > distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
        > > "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been placing
        > > them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with grabbing
        > > them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of the
        > > nock...;).
        > >
        > > At any rate, if anyone has any suggestions/feedback, I thank you
        > > in advance.
        > >
        > > In service
        > >
        > > Calum Friseal
        > > Barony of Stonemarche
      • Mike O'Toole
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
          > How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an
          optimum
          > distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
          > "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been
          placing
          > them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with
          grabbing
          > them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of
          the
          > nock...;).

          One thing you may want to try if you have one of the "pencil sharpener"
          type taper tools is to leave enough room behind the feathers so that you
          can touch up the taper if you happen to break the nock or the nock isn't
          quite straight when you glue it on.

          Michael O'Byrne
        • Kincade Hayt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2001
            Remember when you fletch your arrows angle the
            feathers so that the arrow spins, that's what keeps it
            flying strail, the spinning, not the feathers themselves...

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/