Fletching question

  • ravn@ravn.mv.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
      Greetings,

      How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an optimum
      distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
      "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been placing
      them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with grabbing
      them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of the
      nock...;).

      At any rate, if anyone has any suggestions/feedback, I thank you in advance.

      In service

      Calum Friseal
      Barony of Stonemarche
    • Ronnie E. Hewitt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
        Greetings Calum Friseal,
        My fletcher is set at about 1 3/4 from the fletching to the end of the
        nock...My multi-fletcher is set the same as well...seems to be the
        standard...wish ya luck

        Connor O' Connor
        Laird of Family Owls Lair

      • Simon Hondy
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
          Good morning bright and early fletchers,

          I would agree with Connor's findings, on my 11/32nd shaft I have shield
          cuts. Using the distance of 1 3/4" gives plenty of room to hold the nock,
          especially when on the line. On a set I made for my lady, with 5/16ths
          shaft I made the Indian style wedge shaped fletches, much like the Pope and
          Young style. They are 1 1/2" from the end of the nock and we find it is a
          little crowded to hold onto. That extra 1/4 inch would make them 'roomier'
          and easier to grip.

          Simon Hondy
          Baile na Scolairi

          <<From: "Ronnie E. Hewitt" <watashe@...>>>

          > Greetings Calum Friseal,
          > My fletcher is set at about 1 3/4 from the fletching to the end of the
          > nock...My multi-fletcher is set the same as well...seems to be the
          > standard...wish ya luck
          >
          > Connor O' Connor
          > Laird of Family Owls Lair
          >
          > ><< From: ravn@... [mailto:ravn@...]>>
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an optimum
          > > distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
          > > "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been placing
          > > them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with grabbing
          > > them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of the
          > > nock...;).
          > >
          > > At any rate, if anyone has any suggestions/feedback, I thank you
          > > in advance.
          > >
          > > In service
          > >
          > > Calum Friseal
          > > Barony of Stonemarche
        • Mike O'Toole
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
            > How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an
            optimum
            > distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
            > "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been
            placing
            > them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with
            grabbing
            > them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of
            the
            > nock...;).

            One thing you may want to try if you have one of the "pencil sharpener"
            type taper tools is to leave enough room behind the feathers so that you
            can touch up the taper if you happen to break the nock or the nock isn't
            quite straight when you glue it on.

            Michael O'Byrne
          • Kincade Hayt
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2001
              Remember when you fletch your arrows angle the
              feathers so that the arrow spins, that's what keeps it
              flying strail, the spinning, not the feathers themselves...

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/