Re: [SCA-Archery]breaking and staining

  • paul kaveshan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
      >From: Tanya Sanders <Tanya_Sanders@...>
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery]breaking and staining
      >Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:39:43 -0500

      <snippage throughout>

      > Most of the arrows I break happen at the indoor range I frequent. They
      >use metal plates to hold on the foam panels. When I am at 20 yds I don't
      >miss that often, but in the 40 yd lane I have broken a few on those metal
      >plates. They usually just snap off behind the point. All the modern style
      >archers there also break arrows whether they are aluminum or carbon when
      >they hit those things. Is there
      >any thoughts on the appropriateness (read as periodness) of arrows that are
      >stained different colors. I mean like golden oak or mahogany red, not
      >dayglo orange.
      >
      >Tangwystyl

      Greetings

      I too have broken a few tips at the 40 yard range on one inch wide metal
      stakes holding the targets up. Right behind the tip. The only thing
      everyone on the range could say was "don't hit those" or "aim better" 8-)

      As for the dayglo orange, I have used that color on my practice arrows and
      in the 5 years of using it, have not lost a single arrow. Broken yes, lost
      no.

      Yup, they look funny, but oh well...Aint lost any. 8-)

      Ld James

    • Carl (checking home mail from work)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
        paul kaveshan wrote:

        > As for the dayglo orange, I have used that color on my practice arrows and
        > in the 5 years of using it, have not lost a single arrow. Broken yes, lost
        > no.

        If you put the Day-Glo Orange only on the portion of the arrow that's
        covered by the quiver, your 'prettiness factor' will go up. Granted,
        your loss rate will go up a little too, but it's a trade-off that you
        have the choice of making.

        Fritz
      • paul kaveshan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2001
          >From: "Carl (checking home mail from work)" <eisen@...>

          >If you put the Day-Glo Orange only on the portion of the arrow that's
          >covered by the quiver, your 'prettiness factor' will go up. Granted,
          >your loss rate will go up a little too, but it's a trade-off that you
          >have the choice of making.
          >
          >Fritz

          Greetings.

          Actually, I have made all new arrows. Hand tied fletching, natural wood
          stain, self nocked, and 125 grain field points. Very period and nice to
          look at. And Ive already lost 3 of them in only 2 shoots. 8-(

          My next major expense is going to be a nice cheap metal detector and take it
          out on the range. 8-)

          Ld James
        • Archie/Sebastian
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2001
            Ld James;

            Try your local pawn shops, that's where I bought mine.

            Don Sebastian