Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Fletching with oil finishes

  • Jeff Elder
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
      I for one do not know of any better way, and understood that linseed oil was
      used to make 'oil paint'.

      What is a siccative?

      I use the (as I have mentioned before) 3 equal part mixture of Tung oil,
      Boiled Linseed oil, and Spirit of gum Turpentine. As I got that recipe off
      of this list when discussing arrow protecting stuff.

      What would you suggest as a substance to make a pigment stick to an arrow
      shaft to color and protect it? Primarily in the use of crowning and/or
      cresting. Pigments are not a problem, I know an excellent scribe who has
      the knowledge of colors, and reactivity and lethality in her head. so
      pigments are not really an issue. What I am mainly curious about is, what
      'stuff' would be the most appropriate to make pigments stick on an arrow?
      An possibly what would one use to prep the wood, and what layers of what
      materials might you use?

      I really am curious, I have limited funding so I am not running out to buy a
      bunch of books, but references, and leads are great. Especially if these
      books might be in libraries. I have worked on searching the internet, not
      finding a lot. And am getting ready to start searching the state library
      system. Never thought I would get this nearly fanatical about SCA, nor a
      'derned stick' but it is fun and I am curious. if I am going to hand cut a
      nock why not get as close as I can with the rest of the arrow?

      Thank you
      Simon Hondy
      Baile na Scolairi
      Mid Middle