period archery companies

  • Meauw@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 1999
      > Answer fourth: Well I believe that the only requirement would be to have
      > >to have all non-modern equipment, or period looking equipment. Basically
      > >no fiberglass recurves or anything. I can't see any other qualifications
      > >for it, but again if you can think of them, tell me please.

      Hi Guys and Gals
      I am kinda new to this list, been lurking awhile. In my area i am in the
      process of attempting to start a branch of the SCA. Things are going to have
      to wait a bit as it is the middle of canning, drying and preserving food
      season for me. My husband Brian and I are homesteaders and the SCA isn't too
      far off from the way we live day to day.
      I would like to find some truly traditional bow makers. It's easy to find
      modern recurves and long bows (laminated, ect). I own an old Shakespere
      recurve and Brian has a very modern compound bow, but I am having a hard time
      finding the real McCoy that costs under $400 and even that is a real stretch
      for my budget!! I don't think that I have the skill with woodworking to make
      one myself from scratch.
      Any suggestions for reasonable bowyers or used equipment would be great. I
      know there is no such thing as inexpensive handmade equipment, but there has
      got to be something at a beginner level.
      I realize this thread has probably been discussed before, so if someone wants
      to point me to the correct archive (we have one don't we?) for this or email
      me privately would be fine so as to not clog up the list with old threads.
      Thanks much, been enjoying this list alot!
      Lisa McEachern
    • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 1999
        Lisa,

        You might want to find a bowyer in your area and see if he would teach you
        how to make a bow. In our shire (and perhaps the whole eastern region of the
        Principality) we will be having a two day class on bow making lead by our
        Kingdom Archery Marshal. He said that the only costs would be $50.00 for the
        staves to make the bows from. That price is really good.

        YIS

        May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
        Regards,
        Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands