Re: period archery company - re-re-revisited

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 1999
      You might look to the Long Bow Society of England for ideas and pit falls.

      James Cunningham
      Not ready to go total period yet.

      >Answer fourth: Well I believe that the only requirement would be to have
      >to have all non-modern equipment, or period looking equipment. Basically
      >no fiberglass recurves or anything. I can't see any other qualifications
      >for it, but again if you can think of them, tell me please.

    • KC
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 1999
        Robert,

        I don't think that this is as easy as you are making it sound (although I
        wish it was, I love the idea). I basically have some questions as to
        period or period looking equipment. Would laminated long bows be allowed?
        How about cut out arrow shelves and sight windows? In other words I think
        that you would have to put in some kind a minimum requirement. It is
        possible to look rather period and still be using modern equipment. I
        personally do not like self notched arrows as I don't like having to
        replace the whole arrow for a broken nock. I haven't seen anyone using
        period arrow heads and would rather not.

        I think that heading in a more period direction should be the goal of all
        serious SCA archers. I am just wondering how far period is this going to
        have to go and do we need to document and get really anal about details (I
        will never use period string material and risk my bow needlessly, etc). I
        am not trying to be mean here, but after watching this list for some time
        now, I can how this could get out of hand real quick and only be fun a few.

        I think that if you are going to do this, then you need to think through
        the period equipment definition fairly well before this goes much further.
        I would like to see more people post how they feel about how period the
        equipment should be. Also, you have my full support and will help in any
        way that I can. I would love to have an SCA competition against nothing
        but longbows with no recurves in sight, but that is just me. I am sure
        that some Mongol or other persona's would disagree, but those should be
        period also.

        Anyway, I am rambling now so it is time to go. I hope this brings up some
        things to think about. Comments and replies are encouraged.

        Karrick

      • Karl Sandhoff
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 1999
          Actually, a period bodkin point isn't much different from the field and
          target points we use now.
          Carolus von Eulenhorst

          On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:00:48 -0500 KC <k_c@...> writes:
          >From: KC <k_c@...>
          >
          >snip<
          I haven't seen anyone
          >using
          >period arrow heads and would rather not.
          >
          >snip<

        • KC
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
            A bodkin point may not look a whole lot different, but the penetration
            compared to target point is quite different. A bodkin has a long slender
            point that offers very little resistance as it penetrates. A properly made
            bodkin has shoulders that are larger than the diameter of the shaft causing
            little or no friction once the point has penetrated. I have made and shot
            bodkins and their ability to penetrate a target is severe compared to an
            almost flat or shouldered target point. Shooting at a Sanders grass mat
            target the bodkin pointed arrows were catching at the fletchings shot from
            a 40 lb. bow. My target arrows were barely coming through the back of the
            target. You can really tell the difference if you shoot one of each at an
            old hub cap.

            Karrick

          • Bob & Nancy Upson
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
              > A bodkin point may not look a whole lot different, but the penetration
              > compared to target point is quite different. A bodkin has a long slender
              > point that offers very little resistance as it penetrates. A properly made

              FWIW, there are period bodkin designs that don't penetrate much
              more than a standard field or bullet point. I have a few of them on
              my arrows and don't find overpenetration to be a problem. While
              the longer bodkins you alluded to would be problematic, the shorter
              styles are, IMHO, quite acceptable for SCA target use.

              Macsen
            • KC
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
                Macsen,

                That's great. Would you happen to have a source for those points or are
                they just short run items. If there is a good source and the price is
                reasonable, I would like to make something like that available on the
                arrows that I make.

                Karrick

                > A bodkin point may not look a whole lot different, but the penetration
                > compared to target point is quite different. A bodkin has a long slender
                > point that offers very little resistance as it penetrates. A properly
                made

                FWIW, there are period bodkin designs that don't penetrate much
                more than a standard field or bullet point. I have a few of them on
                my arrows and don't find overpenetration to be a problem. While
                the longer bodkins you alluded to would be problematic, the shorter
                styles are, IMHO, quite acceptable for SCA target use.

                Macsen

                ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

              • Bob & Nancy Upson
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
                  > That's great. Would you happen to have a source for those points or are
                  > they just short run items. If there is a good source and the price is
                  > reasonable, I would like to make something like that available on the
                  > arrows that I make.

                  I've just gotten them here and there from Master McDougals when I
                  was 'apprenticed' to him way back when -- I don't know if he'd make
                  them in quantity. (He generally only used them on his top-of-the-
                  line period arrows.) However, the good news is that they're simply
                  ground out of commercially available bullet or field points. Find the
                  heaviest points you can get, grind the point into a 3 or 4 sided
                  'pyramid' shape, and then rind a narrower neck just behind the
                  pyrimid. You end up with a fair approximation of what I believe he
                  referred to as an "Elizabethan #4 bodkin."*

                  This is the rough profile you want (view with a fixed font):
                  / \ <-- grind tip into a pyramid shape with 3 or 4 sides
                  / \ removing as little material as possible
                  ) ( <-- grind a narrow waist below the pyramid taking
                  |_--_| care to stay above the hollow ferrule
                  [/ \] <-- hollow ferrule for wood shaft
                  [ ]

                  This tip will actually pierce metal much better than a field point but
                  doesn't, IMHO, tend to destroy targets unreasonably. (Although it
                  probably would loosen and/or wear out something like a Saunders
                  mat faster than regular field points.)

                  *(Sorry, I don't recall the source of documentation for the "E#4" bit
                  although others on the list might be familiar with it. =)

                  Macsen
                • KC
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
                    Thanks Macsen. I will have to try and make some of these.

                    Karrick