Re: Period Target faces

  • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
      Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands wrote:

      > When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
      >for a while now and have been unable to find it.

      There is a picture (in black and white) of it from the Lutrell Psalter in
      Robert Hardy's _Longbow_, but it does not show the entire face. Enough,
      though, to show that it is pretty much like the period division IKAC
      target. There are two center rings; the center-most likely the wooden
      "plug" holding the target face to the butt. The IKAC target symbolizes the
      plug with the yellow center and the green ring, the next ring in the
      Lutrell Psalter. The white area of the IKAC target seems to be the rest of
      the butt.

      Of course, as James Cunningham has already pointed out, the dimensions of
      the rings of the period division target come from the FITA 60 cm target due
      to ready availability of the latter and the desire to standardize across
      the Society.

      Oh! The butt behind the archers is clearly shown on the dustjacket of
      Hardy's book. The target is shown as a white ring (roughly equivalent to
      the green IKAC ring) on a brown background. It is as if the ring is
      chalked (or painted) directly on the smooth front face of the butt.

      James
      jotl@...
    • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
      • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
          James of the Lake,

          Thank you for that information. I have added it to my archery files and
          will make it available to anyone who wants it.

          Lady Ayesha