Re: Period Target faces

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
      The current IKAC period target was made from the standard 60cm FITA target
      using some of the lines that were allready on the target. This is because to
      compare scores throughout the Known World you need a standard target that
      would be available to every shooter. The colors for the period target are
      from a period source(I think).

      James Cunningham

    • AMENSEYA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
        Tracy,

        When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
        for a while now and have been unable to find it.

        YIS

        May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
        Regards,
        Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
        AMENSEYA@...
      • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
          Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands wrote:

          > When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
          >for a while now and have been unable to find it.

          There is a picture (in black and white) of it from the Lutrell Psalter in
          Robert Hardy's _Longbow_, but it does not show the entire face. Enough,
          though, to show that it is pretty much like the period division IKAC
          target. There are two center rings; the center-most likely the wooden
          "plug" holding the target face to the butt. The IKAC target symbolizes the
          plug with the yellow center and the green ring, the next ring in the
          Lutrell Psalter. The white area of the IKAC target seems to be the rest of
          the butt.

          Of course, as James Cunningham has already pointed out, the dimensions of
          the rings of the period division target come from the FITA 60 cm target due
          to ready availability of the latter and the desire to standardize across
          the Society.

          Oh! The butt behind the archers is clearly shown on the dustjacket of
          Hardy's book. The target is shown as a white ring (roughly equivalent to
          the green IKAC ring) on a brown background. It is as if the ring is
          chalked (or painted) directly on the smooth front face of the butt.

          James
          jotl@...
        • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
          • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
              James of the Lake,

              Thank you for that information. I have added it to my archery files and
              will make it available to anyone who wants it.

              Lady Ayesha