Re: Period Target faces

  • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
      In a message dated 9/2/1999 3:26:21 PM, hernandez@... writes:

      thank you Broegan,
      Now I was wondering if any knows who that IKAC period face was arrived at and
      if anyone knows where I can find the Luttrell Psalter illumination containing
      that face online?

      Tracy
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
        The current IKAC period target was made from the standard 60cm FITA target
        using some of the lines that were allready on the target. This is because to
        compare scores throughout the Known World you need a standard target that
        would be available to every shooter. The colors for the period target are
        from a period source(I think).

        James Cunningham

      • AMENSEYA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
          Tracy,

          When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
          for a while now and have been unable to find it.

          YIS

          May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
          Regards,
          Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
          AMENSEYA@...
        • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
            Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands wrote:

            > When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
            >for a while now and have been unable to find it.

            There is a picture (in black and white) of it from the Lutrell Psalter in
            Robert Hardy's _Longbow_, but it does not show the entire face. Enough,
            though, to show that it is pretty much like the period division IKAC
            target. There are two center rings; the center-most likely the wooden
            "plug" holding the target face to the butt. The IKAC target symbolizes the
            plug with the yellow center and the green ring, the next ring in the
            Lutrell Psalter. The white area of the IKAC target seems to be the rest of
            the butt.

            Of course, as James Cunningham has already pointed out, the dimensions of
            the rings of the period division target come from the FITA 60 cm target due
            to ready availability of the latter and the desire to standardize across
            the Society.

            Oh! The butt behind the archers is clearly shown on the dustjacket of
            Hardy's book. The target is shown as a white ring (roughly equivalent to
            the green IKAC ring) on a brown background. It is as if the ring is
            chalked (or painted) directly on the smooth front face of the butt.

            James
            jotl@...
          • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
            • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
                James of the Lake,

                Thank you for that information. I have added it to my archery files and
                will make it available to anyone who wants it.

                Lady Ayesha