Re: Period Target faces

  • Hernandez
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
      -----Original Message-----
      Date: Thursday, September 02, 1999 12:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery]Period Target faces

      >From: LadyHearte@...
      >Could whoever posted, the specifics on the target faces and
      the Luttrel
      >Psalter please post them again.
      >Also if anyone knows a URL that the has the illustration in
      the psalter of
      >the archers and target let me know.
      >Thanks,
      >Tracy

      Here is the URL for Giovanni dell'Arco's Web Page Also home
      for IKAC score.

      http://www.dellarco.com/ontarget/

      If you look under IKAC, it has a picture and how to put one
      together

      Ld. Breogan
      Captain of the Archers
      BMMT
    • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
        In a message dated 9/2/1999 3:26:21 PM, hernandez@... writes:

        thank you Broegan,
        Now I was wondering if any knows who that IKAC period face was arrived at and
        if anyone knows where I can find the Luttrell Psalter illumination containing
        that face online?

        Tracy
      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
          The current IKAC period target was made from the standard 60cm FITA target
          using some of the lines that were allready on the target. This is because to
          compare scores throughout the Known World you need a standard target that
          would be available to every shooter. The colors for the period target are
          from a period source(I think).

          James Cunningham

        • AMENSEYA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
            Tracy,

            When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
            for a while now and have been unable to find it.

            YIS

            May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
            Regards,
            Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
            AMENSEYA@...
          • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
              Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands wrote:

              > When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
              >for a while now and have been unable to find it.

              There is a picture (in black and white) of it from the Lutrell Psalter in
              Robert Hardy's _Longbow_, but it does not show the entire face. Enough,
              though, to show that it is pretty much like the period division IKAC
              target. There are two center rings; the center-most likely the wooden
              "plug" holding the target face to the butt. The IKAC target symbolizes the
              plug with the yellow center and the green ring, the next ring in the
              Lutrell Psalter. The white area of the IKAC target seems to be the rest of
              the butt.

              Of course, as James Cunningham has already pointed out, the dimensions of
              the rings of the period division target come from the FITA 60 cm target due
              to ready availability of the latter and the desire to standardize across
              the Society.

              Oh! The butt behind the archers is clearly shown on the dustjacket of
              Hardy's book. The target is shown as a white ring (roughly equivalent to
              the green IKAC ring) on a brown background. It is as if the ring is
              chalked (or painted) directly on the smooth front face of the butt.

              James
              jotl@...
            • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
              • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
                  James of the Lake,

                  Thank you for that information. I have added it to my archery files and
                  will make it available to anyone who wants it.

                  Lady Ayesha