Re: Period Target faces

  • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
      Good archers,
      A while back there was a thread concerning "more period" archery shoots and
      someone mentioned a "more period" tagret face based on the Luttrel Psalter. I
      have looked for the post in my files but cant seem to find it.
      I am also trying to find the Luttrel Psalter on the web but I am having no
      luck.
      Could whoever posted, the specifics on the target faces and the Luttrel
      Psalter please post them again.
      Also if anyone knows a URL that the has the illustration in the psalter of
      the archers and target let me know.
      Thanks,
      Tracy
    • Hernandez
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
        >Could whoever posted, the specifics on the target faces and
        the Luttrel
        >Psalter please post them again.
        >Also if anyone knows a URL that the has the illustration in
        the psalter of
        >the archers and target let me know.
        >Thanks,
        >Tracy

        Here is the URL for Giovanni dell'Arco's Web Page Also home
        for IKAC score.

        http://www.dellarco.com/ontarget/

        If you look under IKAC, it has a picture and how to put one
        together

        Ld. Breogan
        Captain of the Archers
        BMMT
      • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
          In a message dated 9/2/1999 3:26:21 PM, hernandez@... writes:

          thank you Broegan,
          Now I was wondering if any knows who that IKAC period face was arrived at and
          if anyone knows where I can find the Luttrell Psalter illumination containing
          that face online?

          Tracy
        • James W. Pratt Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
            The current IKAC period target was made from the standard 60cm FITA target
            using some of the lines that were allready on the target. This is because to
            compare scores throughout the Known World you need a standard target that
            would be available to every shooter. The colors for the period target are
            from a period source(I think).

            James Cunningham

          • AMENSEYA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
              Tracy,

              When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
              for a while now and have been unable to find it.

              YIS

              May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
              Regards,
              Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
              AMENSEYA@...
            • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
                Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands wrote:

                > When you find the picture, please let me know. I have been searching for it
                >for a while now and have been unable to find it.

                There is a picture (in black and white) of it from the Lutrell Psalter in
                Robert Hardy's _Longbow_, but it does not show the entire face. Enough,
                though, to show that it is pretty much like the period division IKAC
                target. There are two center rings; the center-most likely the wooden
                "plug" holding the target face to the butt. The IKAC target symbolizes the
                plug with the yellow center and the green ring, the next ring in the
                Lutrell Psalter. The white area of the IKAC target seems to be the rest of
                the butt.

                Of course, as James Cunningham has already pointed out, the dimensions of
                the rings of the period division target come from the FITA 60 cm target due
                to ready availability of the latter and the desire to standardize across
                the Society.

                Oh! The butt behind the archers is clearly shown on the dustjacket of
                Hardy's book. The target is shown as a white ring (roughly equivalent to
                the green IKAC ring) on a brown background. It is as if the ring is
                chalked (or painted) directly on the smooth front face of the butt.

                James
                jotl@...
              • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
                • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 1999
                    James of the Lake,

                    Thank you for that information. I have added it to my archery files and
                    will make it available to anyone who wants it.

                    Lady Ayesha