Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Elizabeth confusion

  • Hjalmar Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
      Elizabeth and anyone else interested;

      You point of the difficulty with being able to draw your bow can be remedied
      by a number of methods. The one that you have in use is just one.

      I will email you privately as well with some other questions and possible
      solutions!

      As for what is period. Very few people go through the motion of getting
      completely period equipment. Though those that do have my admiration. I
      currently use plastic snap nocks on my arrows as well. I also intend to make
      my own bow and arrows in a more period method and will try to be more
      authentic. But I am willing to go the extra distance to do this. It is not
      required!

      Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft, a
      nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the nock at
      a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred to as a
      bodkin point, among other things. As you attend the archery field more you
      will see more and more of this.

      As for how good you are going to get. If you are happy then you are doing
      great.

      As for people telling you that you can't shoot, I have yet to see anyone
      pass inspection that was not allowed to shoot. If your equipment meets the
      requirements (which I will address with you privately) then you should have
      no problem.

      Ulvar

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        From: da_viking66@...
        <snip>
        Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft,
        a nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the
        nock at a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred
        to as a bodkin point, among other things. <snip> Ulvar

        Dear Ulvar,
        Your response to Elizabeth was very well thought out,correct(to a
        degree), and kind.
        But your description of period equipment is only top-of-the-line
        and doesn't reflect the majority of period equipment. Although what you
        describe certainly did exist in period, it was not typical. We now have
        many arrows from period and they were not as you describe, but much
        simpler. Nocks were not re-enforced with a hardwood or horn spline and
        were not footed. Some rare ones were, so you are not incorrect, but the
        majority of what we have were simply self nocks that were (probably)
        wrapped with sinew and were not footed. Other arrows from cultures other
        than Northern Europe and Great Britain employed a variety of other arrow
        making methods and materials including reeds which were plugged (similar
        to footing).
        Most Kingdoms have the rules of the archery game on-line. Any one
        that has any questions about what is and what isn't allowed should
        access their Kingdom's archery rules and read them. We are a friendly
        group which encourages participation and the new archers out there that
        are reading the tyrrades that go back and forth on this list shouldn't
        be put off. Most of the time it is between seasoned battle weary archery
        marshals that are airing a pet gripe. What we say to each other on this
        list will not be reflected in the manner in which we treat eager new
        archers stepping to the line. We want you all to have fun and get
        involved.
        Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
        concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
        "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"

        Respectfully,
        -Geoffrei

      • Hjalmar Brandenburg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          Geoffrei;

          Thank you! I was intent on showing some of the more unique and referencable
          pieces. I agree that those are not necessarily the norm.

          But any additional information is always valuable.

          And do you mean to say that coconuts don't migrate? ;-}

          Ulvar

          > Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
          > concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
          > "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"
          >
          > Respectfully,
          > -Geoffrei
        • Hal B. Clark
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            AS far as I can see by your post, you could compete in the outlands in
            the modern division.
            Where are you? It can make a difference.
            Walk Tall
            Baron Caomh