Re: String walking

  • Karl Sandhoff
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
      In the SCA the fact that something is not period does not, per se, make
      it illegal. If this were the case we would have a variety of equipment
      made in purely period fashion being used and all the attendant injuries
      from period material failures. Thus we allow modern materials for
      safety. The important point here is to know the difference. In the case
      of string walking, various sets of rules do or do not allow it. An
      extensive argument has ensued from some who still cling to the "if they
      coulda done it, it should be legal" fiction. We are a re-creation group,
      not a re-enactment group. As such we make allowances for true period
      equipment. We are, however, trying to be more period and not open the
      door any wider to further anachronisms despite our name.
      In service to the dream,
      Carolus von Eulenhorst

      On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:55:45 -0000 ElizabethOfCornwall@... writes:
      >? Unless it can be documented as having existed in period; Its not.
      >
      >I'm shooting off of a cut out shelf on a fiberglass recurve and I
      >have two metal bowstring nocks which I'm told is also not period. Do
      >I need to get a different bow and bowstring? If not why is one legal
      >and the other isn't?
      >
      >Even more confused,
      >Elizabeth
      >

      >Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      >http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar