RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Elizabeth confusion

  • Shurgin,Gary
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      You can have 2 nocks, as long as they are not used for sighting, but to hold
      the arrow in place. However, if you are having trouble drawing ayour bow,
      you might want to find a lighter poundage, then work up to the poundage of
      your bow. As to the bow, as long as it has no mechanical devices--recurves,
      longbows, crossbows, magyars, etc. are acceptable. People use the snapnocks
      also. Being a new archer, you shouldn't have trouble anyway. Time is always
      given to get your supplies and equipment to SCA standards. Unless you want
      to record official scores right away. The archers I know will help you when
      you get to the event.

      Roewynne (who has a few minutes finally to reply to the list!)

    • Hjalmar Brandenburg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        Elizabeth and anyone else interested;

        You point of the difficulty with being able to draw your bow can be remedied
        by a number of methods. The one that you have in use is just one.

        I will email you privately as well with some other questions and possible
        solutions!

        As for what is period. Very few people go through the motion of getting
        completely period equipment. Though those that do have my admiration. I
        currently use plastic snap nocks on my arrows as well. I also intend to make
        my own bow and arrows in a more period method and will try to be more
        authentic. But I am willing to go the extra distance to do this. It is not
        required!

        Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft, a
        nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the nock at
        a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred to as a
        bodkin point, among other things. As you attend the archery field more you
        will see more and more of this.

        As for how good you are going to get. If you are happy then you are doing
        great.

        As for people telling you that you can't shoot, I have yet to see anyone
        pass inspection that was not allowed to shoot. If your equipment meets the
        requirements (which I will address with you privately) then you should have
        no problem.

      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          From: da_viking66@...
          <snip>
          Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft,
          a nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the
          nock at a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred
          to as a bodkin point, among other things. <snip> Ulvar

          Dear Ulvar,
          Your response to Elizabeth was very well thought out,correct(to a
          degree), and kind.
          But your description of period equipment is only top-of-the-line
          and doesn't reflect the majority of period equipment. Although what you
          describe certainly did exist in period, it was not typical. We now have
          many arrows from period and they were not as you describe, but much
          simpler. Nocks were not re-enforced with a hardwood or horn spline and
          were not footed. Some rare ones were, so you are not incorrect, but the
          majority of what we have were simply self nocks that were (probably)
          wrapped with sinew and were not footed. Other arrows from cultures other
          than Northern Europe and Great Britain employed a variety of other arrow
          making methods and materials including reeds which were plugged (similar
          to footing).
          Most Kingdoms have the rules of the archery game on-line. Any one
          that has any questions about what is and what isn't allowed should
          access their Kingdom's archery rules and read them. We are a friendly
          group which encourages participation and the new archers out there that
          are reading the tyrrades that go back and forth on this list shouldn't
          be put off. Most of the time it is between seasoned battle weary archery
          marshals that are airing a pet gripe. What we say to each other on this
          list will not be reflected in the manner in which we treat eager new
          archers stepping to the line. We want you all to have fun and get
          involved.
          Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
          concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
          "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"

          Respectfully,
          -Geoffrei

        • Hjalmar Brandenburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Geoffrei;

            Thank you! I was intent on showing some of the more unique and referencable
            pieces. I agree that those are not necessarily the norm.

            But any additional information is always valuable.

            And do you mean to say that coconuts don't migrate? ;-}

            Ulvar

            > Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
            > concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
            > "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"
            >
            > Respectfully,
            > -Geoffrei
          • Hal B. Clark
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              AS far as I can see by your post, you could compete in the outlands in
              the modern division.
              Where are you? It can make a difference.
              Walk Tall
              Baron Caomh