Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking

  • D Humberson
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 2, 2001
      Milord Istvan,

      With respect, I must disagree with your assertion that "If we can't prove
      that something existed during a certain time in a certain place, we are
      required to assume it did not." Part of my concern arises from the term
      'prove', and is based on definitions of proof offered in other posts, but
      part arises quite independantly from the concept of '... a certain time in a
      certain place'.

      Your restrictions as to time and place wuld seem to disallow arguments from
      continuity: proven existance or usage prior to a given time combined with
      equivalently proven existance or usage after that time may( not must, but
      may) imply continuous existance or usage. Admitted, this implication is
      stronger for living things, but it can definitely hold validity for other
      classes of artifacts. Given the relative paucity of primary source material
      from period, especially early period, I would argue that we engage rather
      continuously in the sort of interpolation and extrapolation your statement
      would seem to forbid, and that such is required for the simple function of
      the Society.

      On a more general note, and by no means only as a response to your post, I
      would suggest that proof in historical matters bears more resemblance to the
      Z-score of a matching engine than to the Boolean result of a classic
      syllogism. Entirely honorable, reasonable men may differ on the historicity
      of a practice without opening the gates to Henry delivering the St. Davids
      Day soliloqy via loudspeaker.

      Cordially,
      Ragnar Ketilsson

      >From: Lewis Tanzos Reply-To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com To:
      >SCA-Archery@egroups.com Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking Date:
      >Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:04:22 -0500 (EST)
      >
      >(snip)
      >If we can't prove that something existed during a certain time in a certain
      >place, we are required to assume it did not.
      >
      >Anything else is roughly equivalent to arguing that cell phones were used
      >at the battle of Agincourt. ( We don't _know_ they didn't have them,
      >there's no evidence for their being there, but hey, maybe we just forgot
      >how to do all that, and nobody wrote anything about it down, and we haven't
      >found any of the remains of the phones or the broadcast networks...yet. )
      >
      >- Istvan
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar