Re: Elizabeth confusion

  • ElizabethOfCornwall@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      Ulvar,

      Thank you for your reply. I'm rather curious and confused in that
      my equipment is modern. My father put two nocks on my bowstring and
      snaplock nocks on my arrows as my bow is difficult for me to draw and
      my nocks wondered too far up and down on my bowstring. I can't find
      any documentation on having two bowsting nocks or a snapping nock. I
      will never be any good but I do not want to get out there and have
      somebody tell me I can't shoot with the equipment I go.

      Special thanks,
      Elizabeth
    • Shurgin,Gary
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
        You can have 2 nocks, as long as they are not used for sighting, but to hold
        the arrow in place. However, if you are having trouble drawing ayour bow,
        you might want to find a lighter poundage, then work up to the poundage of
        your bow. As to the bow, as long as it has no mechanical devices--recurves,
        longbows, crossbows, magyars, etc. are acceptable. People use the snapnocks
        also. Being a new archer, you shouldn't have trouble anyway. Time is always
        given to get your supplies and equipment to SCA standards. Unless you want
        to record official scores right away. The archers I know will help you when
        you get to the event.

        Roewynne (who has a few minutes finally to reply to the list!)

      • Hjalmar Brandenburg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          Elizabeth and anyone else interested;

          You point of the difficulty with being able to draw your bow can be remedied
          by a number of methods. The one that you have in use is just one.

          I will email you privately as well with some other questions and possible
          solutions!

          As for what is period. Very few people go through the motion of getting
          completely period equipment. Though those that do have my admiration. I
          currently use plastic snap nocks on my arrows as well. I also intend to make
          my own bow and arrows in a more period method and will try to be more
          authentic. But I am willing to go the extra distance to do this. It is not
          required!

          Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft, a
          nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the nock at
          a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred to as a
          bodkin point, among other things. As you attend the archery field more you
          will see more and more of this.

          As for how good you are going to get. If you are happy then you are doing
          great.

          As for people telling you that you can't shoot, I have yet to see anyone
          pass inspection that was not allowed to shoot. If your equipment meets the
          requirements (which I will address with you privately) then you should have
          no problem.

        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            From: da_viking66@...
            <snip>
            Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft,
            a nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the
            nock at a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred
            to as a bodkin point, among other things. <snip> Ulvar

            Dear Ulvar,
            Your response to Elizabeth was very well thought out,correct(to a
            degree), and kind.
            But your description of period equipment is only top-of-the-line
            and doesn't reflect the majority of period equipment. Although what you
            describe certainly did exist in period, it was not typical. We now have
            many arrows from period and they were not as you describe, but much
            simpler. Nocks were not re-enforced with a hardwood or horn spline and
            were not footed. Some rare ones were, so you are not incorrect, but the
            majority of what we have were simply self nocks that were (probably)
            wrapped with sinew and were not footed. Other arrows from cultures other
            than Northern Europe and Great Britain employed a variety of other arrow
            making methods and materials including reeds which were plugged (similar
            to footing).
            Most Kingdoms have the rules of the archery game on-line. Any one
            that has any questions about what is and what isn't allowed should
            access their Kingdom's archery rules and read them. We are a friendly
            group which encourages participation and the new archers out there that
            are reading the tyrrades that go back and forth on this list shouldn't
            be put off. Most of the time it is between seasoned battle weary archery
            marshals that are airing a pet gripe. What we say to each other on this
            list will not be reflected in the manner in which we treat eager new
            archers stepping to the line. We want you all to have fun and get
            involved.
            Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
            concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
            "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"

            Respectfully,
            -Geoffrei

          • Hjalmar Brandenburg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              Geoffrei;

              Thank you! I was intent on showing some of the more unique and referencable
              pieces. I agree that those are not necessarily the norm.

              But any additional information is always valuable.

              And do you mean to say that coconuts don't migrate? ;-}

              Ulvar

              > Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
              > concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
              > "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"
              >
              > Respectfully,
              > -Geoffrei
            • Hal B. Clark
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                AS far as I can see by your post, you could compete in the outlands in
                the modern division.
                Where are you? It can make a difference.
                Walk Tall
                Baron Caomh