[SCA-Archery] Elizabeth confusion

  • Hjalmar Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      Elizabeth et al.;

      You do not need a different bow and bowstring!

      The entire dilemma with string walking is based on the following. No one can
      PROVE that string walking did or did not exist. Since we cannot prove it ,we
      assume that it did not and as such do not allow it. At least for
      competitions.

      But then we can also not prove that fiberglass existed but we ACCEPT it!

      The equipment you use must meet certain requirements. We have acceptable
      limits on what we do accept for use in competition in the SCA. My wife
      shoots with me, but she uses 'Magic arrows!' She uses metal shafts. So she
      cannot compete in a number of SCA archery tourneys.

      I have taught a number of archers how to shoot and how to improve their
      shooting. I have never taught string walking as I do not use the method
      myself. But I have also taught people that use 'Training wheels' on their
      bows (compund bow shooters). I allow any who wish to shoot on my line
      provided that they pass inspection. If they wish to compete they need to
      meet the rules of the competition. The only question I would ask when you go
      to shoot is "can I compete with this equipment?" From what I know of your
      kit I would say "Yes!"

      You have come very late into a very heavy discussion about why String
      walking is or is not allowed! Personally I would like to see the discussion
      close, but hey that is my 2 cents worth.

      If you do have any questions please use this as a contact point. If you wish
      I would not mind responding to an email from you with respect to archery.
      Just remember that the string walking discussion is a difference of
      opinions. I t is not what is legal or illegal. It is a difference between
      what is accepted and what is not!

      Ulvar

    • ElizabethOfCornwall@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
        Ulvar,

        Thank you for your reply. I'm rather curious and confused in that
        my equipment is modern. My father put two nocks on my bowstring and
        snaplock nocks on my arrows as my bow is difficult for me to draw and
        my nocks wondered too far up and down on my bowstring. I can't find
        any documentation on having two bowsting nocks or a snapping nock. I
        will never be any good but I do not want to get out there and have
        somebody tell me I can't shoot with the equipment I go.

        Special thanks,
        Elizabeth
      • Shurgin,Gary
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
          You can have 2 nocks, as long as they are not used for sighting, but to hold
          the arrow in place. However, if you are having trouble drawing ayour bow,
          you might want to find a lighter poundage, then work up to the poundage of
          your bow. As to the bow, as long as it has no mechanical devices--recurves,
          longbows, crossbows, magyars, etc. are acceptable. People use the snapnocks
          also. Being a new archer, you shouldn't have trouble anyway. Time is always
          given to get your supplies and equipment to SCA standards. Unless you want
          to record official scores right away. The archers I know will help you when
          you get to the event.

          Roewynne (who has a few minutes finally to reply to the list!)

        • Hjalmar Brandenburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Elizabeth and anyone else interested;

            You point of the difficulty with being able to draw your bow can be remedied
            by a number of methods. The one that you have in use is just one.

            I will email you privately as well with some other questions and possible
            solutions!

            As for what is period. Very few people go through the motion of getting
            completely period equipment. Though those that do have my admiration. I
            currently use plastic snap nocks on my arrows as well. I also intend to make
            my own bow and arrows in a more period method and will try to be more
            authentic. But I am willing to go the extra distance to do this. It is not
            required!

            Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft, a
            nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the nock at
            a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred to as a
            bodkin point, among other things. As you attend the archery field more you
            will see more and more of this.

            As for how good you are going to get. If you are happy then you are doing
            great.

            As for people telling you that you can't shoot, I have yet to see anyone
            pass inspection that was not allowed to shoot. If your equipment meets the
            requirements (which I will address with you privately) then you should have
            no problem.

          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              From: da_viking66@...
              <snip>
              Period equipment for arrows consisted of such things as a footed shaft,
              a nock cut into the end of the arrow, and a hardened insert put in the
              nock at a 90% angle to strengthen the nock, and a point that is referred
              to as a bodkin point, among other things. <snip> Ulvar

              Dear Ulvar,
              Your response to Elizabeth was very well thought out,correct(to a
              degree), and kind.
              But your description of period equipment is only top-of-the-line
              and doesn't reflect the majority of period equipment. Although what you
              describe certainly did exist in period, it was not typical. We now have
              many arrows from period and they were not as you describe, but much
              simpler. Nocks were not re-enforced with a hardwood or horn spline and
              were not footed. Some rare ones were, so you are not incorrect, but the
              majority of what we have were simply self nocks that were (probably)
              wrapped with sinew and were not footed. Other arrows from cultures other
              than Northern Europe and Great Britain employed a variety of other arrow
              making methods and materials including reeds which were plugged (similar
              to footing).
              Most Kingdoms have the rules of the archery game on-line. Any one
              that has any questions about what is and what isn't allowed should
              access their Kingdom's archery rules and read them. We are a friendly
              group which encourages participation and the new archers out there that
              are reading the tyrrades that go back and forth on this list shouldn't
              be put off. Most of the time it is between seasoned battle weary archery
              marshals that are airing a pet gripe. What we say to each other on this
              list will not be reflected in the manner in which we treat eager new
              archers stepping to the line. We want you all to have fun and get
              involved.
              Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
              concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
              "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"

              Respectfully,
              -Geoffrei

            • Hjalmar Brandenburg
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                Geoffrei;

                Thank you! I was intent on showing some of the more unique and referencable
                pieces. I agree that those are not necessarily the norm.

                But any additional information is always valuable.

                And do you mean to say that coconuts don't migrate? ;-}

                Ulvar

                > Half the time when I read the list and the postings of genuinely
                > concerned and wordy people (like myself), I expect some one to write:
                > "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"
                >
                > Respectfully,
                > -Geoffrei
              • Hal B. Clark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                  AS far as I can see by your post, you could compete in the outlands in
                  the modern division.
                  Where are you? It can make a difference.
                  Walk Tall
                  Baron Caomh